Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few days ago hung and landed a 38 inch black drum on tackle that was almost inadequate. It took some doing and a good while with a 400 yard drift before this beast finally surfaced. This was only my 3rd of 4th drum in my lifetime,and it was a whopper

Attachments

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang, JB - either you're mighty little, or that drum is mighty big!

Hurts my back just looking at it.
'

Biggest fish I have ever put in my little river jon boat. Nearby kayaker estimated about 35 + pounds. I don't have a clue....only the 4th black drum I have ever caught.
Going again this morning to see if any more are around or have the sheepshead run them all off.

·
Super Moderator
28,123 Posts
That's a nice big ugly brother.....ohhh and the fish is a gooden too!!! hahaha Way to go!

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's a nice big ugly brother.....ohhh and the fish is a gooden too!!! hahaha Way to go!
Ugly brother....I agree.....but what a nice smile on his face. LOL

Tried again today but no soap. 1 decent sheepshead. 3 guys fishing Brooks Bridge and Destin Bridge about 5 hours. Wind was wicked today. Weather man missed it again.
One of our guys hung a huge black drum and had it on for probably 5 or 6 minutes before it broke free. The darn thing just sulked and would not move. It would just shake now and then to let the guy know I'm still here. Guy was fishing from piling apron and not in boat. Had he been in the boat we could have drifted and maybe landed the critter.
Incidentally big Coast Guard boat with at least half dozen men came by within 50 yards on patrol at East Pass. There is obviously no issue with tying up and getting up on an apron to fish.
Another beautiful day to be on the water but the wind was really something else. Not comfortable at all.

We used oysters for bait with the Wrap from Mossy Head Bait Company. This gizmo really works. Bait stays on the hook. I'm anxious to try it on catfish. What bait to use in only subject to your imagination

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
We used oysters for bait with the Wrap from Mossy Head Bait Company. This gizmo really works. Bait stays on the hook. I'm anxious to try it on catfish. What bait to use in only subject to your imagination
I'm going get me one of those set ups next time I go to the coast. You'll save money in the long run.

I wonder if you could peel a few shrimp & cut 'em up fine & use the mesh bags? Seems like you could. You ought to be able to get a bag of shrimp ready the night before.

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going get me one of those set ups next time I go to the coast. You'll save money in the long run.

I wonder if you could peel a few shrimp & cut 'em up fine & use the mesh bags? Seems like you could. You ought to be able to get a bag of shrimp ready the night before.
Yes, have done that with shrimp and a little menhaden oil added. There are several videos on the product, making bait, etc., on the website of Mossy Head Bait Co.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts