Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday around noon my dad asked me if i wanted to go fishing at the navarre pier for whiting and i said if i can bring my yak and he said ok so we get there and its borderline for a kayak so he asked me if i wanted to go to the navarre bridge and i said yea but id have to put in at juanas and he didnt want to have to drop me off drive to the end of the cause way and then drive back to pick me up so we ended up going to garcon pt south side and stayed there for 2 or 3 hrs and got nada so we called it quits and on the way home he asked me if i wanted to go out at the end of our neighborhood in the sound and i said shure so i get in the water round 330 and head south towards the isaland and it takes me 45 mins to get there and by the time i got there it was time to head back because it was getting dark on the way back i was trolling a stretch 11 and there was pelicans diving here and there then all of a sudden WHAM a pelican hit the water right next to me and then a whole bunch of pelicans are diving all around me so i start doing ziz zags and then i started going really slow and i looked back and my "big rod" a pen 650 with a all star rod is screaming and bent in half so i grab it and after a 15-20 min fight a have a HUGE bull red yak side. i lean over to bring him up in and i used one hand...couldnt do it had to use bnoth hands and slid him up in, i didnt have a tape measure with me i frogot it at home
but he went from the front rod holder to the back rodholder and i measured it when i got home and it was 44inches but i have no clue what the weight was so i unhooked him and put him back it the water shook him a couple times and swoosh he gave me a nice little shower it was by far the biggest fish i have ever caught in my kayak
but on the way home i had a little run in with a barge....it was getting towards the last part of sun set and i had to be back by dark so i was peddling as fast as i could and i started to hear a low rumble and i look up and there was a barge off in the distance and i THOUGHT i had plenty of room i would pass across him before he got near me but i was wrong he didnt get too too close but its was too close for comfort he was prob 40 yds away so i deff learned a lesson if theres a barge anywhere near you let him go past first.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like a great experience. I love good Redfish stories.

Glad you survived the barge encounter. I had a bad experience with one that could've cost me & my sons life. Should've never happened. Be safe out there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good Job KID . Dont gamble with those barges. Try that big hole in your backyard yet? You know the one i dropped your dad off at. I bet theres fish there. DB and i are trying for whiting in the morning. Got nine Saturday and four friday. Ill call you guys. Out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts