Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
eating tasty
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my gills wet again after a couple years, and headed out with the affable crew of my buddy Mitch, his son Dylan, Mitch’s dad Steve, and Drizz on the Red Rocket.

We were in search of big AJ and our first stop was the usually dependable Chevron. We managed one decent fish there, but overall it was pretty dead. Headed to the Antares and it was even more dead! Nothing there except an Almaco.

Next few stops were some coops and pyramids and an unnamed small work barge, and we picked them away one by one. Highlight of the day was Mitch shooting the cobia our from under a sting ray half the size of the boat! Ray was so big you couldn’t even see the cobia under him looking down from above.

Another nice bonus, I shot a pretty good 30-40 lb jack right in the gills and after a struggle he pulled off. Lo and behold, 30 minutes later after we all surfaced and put our gear up preparing to leave he popped up and floated by. We gaffed him and he proceeded to beat the crap out of the boat. Made me feel better he wasn’t shark food though. Also found a very much alive and kicking 10lb mangrove on the surface! I’m guessing someone thought he was a red and didn’t vent him?

Drizz shot the biggest jack and finished off the limit on the last dive of the day. All in all a great day with friends on the water!

My advice to the fisherman- it seriously looks like the big, well know amberjack spots like chevron Antares and tenneco are depleted. Save your time and hit private numbers with high relief if you have them, or large live bottom spots in deeper water towards the edge will likely be productive.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Nice! Love the Cobia!

We hit the Antares and Avocet about a month after snapper opened, it was a ghost town. Saw one snapper on both sites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts