Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about mounting a bicycle warning flag on the milk crate of my Kayak instead of buying a higher priced version specifically designed for a kayak. Has anyone else gone this route?

I was rethinking my previous choice of not having one when I was reminded of how some boat owners can be jerks. While fishing off the jetties this weekend a boat left his spot on purpose to move approximately 25 yards from me when I started catching fish and parked directly over the spot I was casting. It too all of my willpower to not tie on an 8 oz egg sinker and bounce it off his hull, but then I would be setting a poor example for my son who was fishing with me.

I suspect he would have just moved on top of me had I been in a kayak.

·
Super Moderator
6,985 Posts
Interesting---I posed this question last spring and twisted some panties (not that I lost any sleep over it). Great idea for YOU to take responsibility and be seen on the water!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Go for it, its cheap and will work as you intend. However Ive long debated the actual benefit of them. I fish with people all the time with flags and let me tell you, at least from another yakkers perspective, you see that 12ft piece of plastic from a distance WELL before you see that 12" flag!

I just avaoid areas where there are lots of boaters, thats the beauty of kayak fishing, I can get to the fish that boaters either cant or it takes them a long time to get there!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree with JD, especially I you have a bright yak. I had a blue yak for a long time and did not feel that it stood out well. Another consideration is that the flag can move your yak around more than you would think in a good wind. I kept a Velcro wrap on my flag pole and often would keep the flag rolled up in a stiff wind when I was not concerned about boat traffic.
BTW My flag was homemade. Nylon material on a pvc pipe pole. Worked fine. Now that I have a yellow yak I never undo the Velcro on the flag / light pole.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
You might consider "conspicuity tape" as a horizontal stripe all the way around your hull instead.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Interesting---I posed this question last spring and twisted some panties (not that I lost any sleep over it). Great idea for YOU to take responsibility and be seen on the water!

Anything within reason that assists with your chances of being seen is a great idea. :thumbsup:

I can't see how anyone would gripe about that, wait... :D :whistling::thumbsup:

·
Local 28 Years
212 Posts
I use an old 6' busted rod and bought a bright red flag off ebay for like $7 shipped.I clipped all the eye holes off the rod then tied on the flag using clinch knots.Works for me... I also bought some super bright yellow reflector tape off ebay and taped it to the end of my black paddle.Been there for 3 years now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts