Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
"to the grave" is a great place to take that OLD Penn!!! Especially since it is not allowed in the TOWER!!:moon See ya around 10:30.

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
I learned my lesson with Costa about 12 years ago. The prescription lenses kept popping out without warning. I sent them back the last time to get get them fixed. This was 6 months after the initial purchase. They sent them back un-repaired and told me that the frame had been discontinued. My son has had his replaced a couple of times, but I suspect that will not happen again.

The whole idea of paying 200+ for a pair of shades is that the company stands behind them all the way. It's been the reason that companies like Spyderco have been so successful. Break your Spyderco and send it back, they send you a new knife, no questions.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So here's the latest on my Costas, they left me a message to call them which I did. They have now found a Deep Blue frame and will switch my lens to the new frames....... for only $78.63.

what a load !!! This is really ridiculous. the glasses are warranteed against manufacturer defects. The hinge broke in the middle, it ididn't get pulld out or anything like that. It did not break where the little screw goes through the hinge. It broke in the middle of the metal.

Am I nuts or is this a manufacturer defect?????

·
Registered
255 Posts
Eargills (05/05/2010)Anyone selling a pair of glasses for more than you can buy a small LED television is ripping you off.

Unless it can pick up a digital signal from outerspace and transform it to real time moving picture with sound.
Great Ron White Joke!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
fishinstevez (07/05/2010)walmart 5 bucks i dont cry when they break
x2... I have 3 pair of them in the truck, All three are good... 2- Are for work use and the other one is for newer use.. The work ones are scratched up of course... You have to pick the ones off the shelf now the round about..

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm with the guys that have had great service. I have worn costa's for over 20 years. Had broken frames and len's and have had no problems with them at all. They have honored their warranty every time and I will continue to buy them. Sorry to hear the others have had bad experiences but all mine have been good.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The problem is you are buying IMAGE! If you pay premimum for some plastic glasses you have to be out of our mind to spend more than 20 bucks period. My prescription glasses cost me 300 bucks and that is the only ones Ill ever buy outside of a few bucks. I see it every where, got me some costas and only paid a few hundred... fantastic!

Trying to impress with fashionable items made from plastic does nothing for me and I will NEVER buy any. Some cheap 10 dollar shades from Wally world will kill enuff UV rays for me and I can see fish just as good. My wife buys Raybans.... she has lost 2 pair, broke a pair and currently has one pair you cant see through the lens from scratches....... You wouold be better off buying a Penn Reel and Rod with some live Cigs then the fish will come to you in the boat where everyone can see them!

Cadillac / Pinto ??

Time Value of Money!! Figure that in the equation..... Those glasses will cost you 1500 bucks in a few months if you know how to invest!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Call and ask for Jeania Buckler. We always go through him and he always hooks us up on as much warranty work as possible. I have always had great service in the repair department.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am sorry for your trouble, but Costas are one of the best glasses out there and so is their customer service. It sucks for you, but you also had them for 2 years. That is a long time for a pair of glasses. For everyone that says that walmart or guidelines are just as good, you have obviously never tried a pair of glass lensed costas while fishing. They are unbeatable. I do not work for them and I hate shelling out 150 to 200 bucks a pair too, but they are worth it and last. I have never had to send them in to customer service, but have a lot of close friends that did with no problems.

Costas are just like Leica or Swarowski binos, tough to shell out, but if you do you will not be disappointed, the top of the line glass is worth it.

One of my friends recieved a pair as a tip while working at a restaurant. He has since sent them in 3 times for repairs and have been returned and fixed for the cost of shipping. Less than 30 bucks and he has had them for over 4 years. Just saying it sucks you had a bad experience, but this is the first I have heard of Costa not having excellent customer service.

Additionally, before you bash them, try finding another sunglass company that will even do what Costa is doing. Most don't even have customer service.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Guidelines are great glasses, but they are polycarbonate and not glass. So they WILL scratch and are not as clear. That is one of the main reasons they are that much cheaper (in price) than the other glasses out there. If you take care of the frames, a glass lens will far outlast by 3 or 4 times that of a poly lens. That is just my experience. I prefer to buy a quality glass lens.

Before anyone buys, just keep that in mind.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have owned Costas for 10 years and will continue to buy Costas due to their customer service. I just sent my wifes Ballasts in 4 weeks ago which she has had for the past 5 years for the lens cracking due to NORMAL wear and tear which is NOT covered by their warranty. I was expecting to pay for new lenses for this pair of glasses and even stated such on the form I sent in. I did not talk to anyone only sent in my form with my shipping and handling. 2 weeks later I received a brand new pair of glasses with out any questions from Costa. They covered a 5 year old pair of glasses that were not manufactures defect only normal wear and tear. Not to question your reaction to this, but if your intitial approach was any thing like your post on here then that may havebeen where you received the poor service. I will be Costas for life based on the past and recent great customer service they have given me. Just my .02 take it for what's worth.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
baldona523 (11/05/2010)Guidelines are great glasses, but they are polycarbonate and not glass. So they WILL scratch and are not as clear. That is one of the main reasons they are that much cheaper (in price) than the other glasses out there. If you take care of the frames, a glass lens will far outlast by 3 or 4 times that of a poly lens. That is just my experience. I prefer to buy a quality glass lens.

Before anyone buys, just keep that in mind.
it depends on which guidelines you get...if you get the elite series they are glass, and clearer than costas

and someone said try and find a company that will do better than what costa does....guideline!!! you break them take them back where you got them and get a new pair...sounds a whole lot easier that dealing with the jackoffs at costa!!!

I bought my last pair of costas about a year and a half ago...sent them back for the hinge not moving at all, and one of the lenses starting to haze up....got a email saying it would cost me $75 for new lenses...told them to keep them and shove them becasue i wasnt going to pay for lenses hazing over....the response i got back was that it was due to me using "harsh" chemicals on it...i didnt know that their lenses cloth was a "harsh" chemical

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

This is Laurie from Costa Sunglasses, and I just noticed this ongoing thread about our Customer Service. OBsession, could you please email me so I can look into your case specifically? Our lifetime warranty does cover all manufacturer defects, and I'm confused as to why you're being charged for new lenses when it's the frame that cracked.

My email is [email protected].

Thank you,
Laurie

·
Registered
541 Posts
i just serviced a claim on some costas and was thrilled with the cheap and fast turnaround.. I sent them back for 11.95,, then they charged me nothing and replaced both my lenses for free. I bought these costas from a friend for 25 bucks and broke them one night drunk.. i was impressed with their customer service.. sorry for your experience

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I also sent a five year old pair back a few weeks ago due to stress cracks. They were repaired and sent back at no cost other than shipping. The first time I wore them Iput them in the overhead storagenot remembering they didn't fit and cracked a lens. Sent them back the next day with the online repair order and an explanation on what happened. I expected to pay this time but they showed up last week good as new and no charge. I've been following this thread and was shocked the polar opposite encounters. We have seven pairs in the family and won't wear anything else.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Laurie,

Thank you for your response and Tommy thank you for letting her know. I just sent an email to Laurie with some more particulars. I hope she can and will do something.

To all you guys who sent in glasses and had a great experience, I have too. I have sent glasses in for repair and the service was great. So knowing that, if you had a great experience before as I did, just think how disappointed you would be with this experience.

Maybe I could get one of you guys to send my pair in?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts