Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I too would like to know everyone's luck. I've had crap for luck. Had a CuddyBack and it would flash but would only store the photo 1/2 of the time. Tried 4 different cards and they all worked about 1/2 the time even though the camera would flash.

Switched it out for a Leaf River and it took about 5 photos and now it doesn't work. I'm in contact with their tech support now and they said that they would send me a new one if we couldn't resolve the issues...)

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've had the leaf river also & it sucked. Grassflatsfisher had the cuddeback no flash and returned it and got two moultrie i40's. We both love them and they are not that $. Mike's had them for $149 while supplies last. The infrared works well. Takes night AND day videos, then snaps a pic.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Moultrie i40...hands down.

Hold on, I'll post my thoughts/reasons from another thread/s, and a link to the other threads which has a lot of members thoughts on trail cams

·
Registered
556 Posts
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlSearchResultsPostView_ctlSearchResults__ctl8_ctlPanelBar_lblFullMessage>Links to previous thread about this: http://pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic151805-42-1.aspx#bm151898 and http://pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic167042-42-1.aspx?Highlight=infrared

My Post:

I think I can help you here. In the last 3 years, I've tried 3 different game cameras...leaf river, bushnell, and moultrie.

And the winner hands down is...<U>Moultrie</U>.

<U>Bushnell</U> - The bushnell's flash is really WEAK. The deer have to be very close to the camera in order to get a good pic at night. Since they have to be sooo close, it quite often spooks them. I get a TON of pics with nothing but eyes...I mean lots of eyes pics. Now, the Bushnell is probably the simplest to use than the others. But, VERY poor for night pictures (which is when deer move the most). Daytime pic are good though. Oh, I almost forgot, this thing eats batteries like there're going out of style.

<U>Leaf River</U> - I spent a solid year trying to get this thing to work properly. Ended up sending it back to the manufacturer, and they sent me a new one. The new works, but I'm still not impressed. This thing has what seems like a hundred buttons and the user manual does a piss poor job of explaining how they all work. Good luck figuring out all the features of this camera. I can work it, but you have to do things in a particular order and hit 20 buttons before you leave it in the woods. Pic quality is OK...Nothing special, but not bad either. Its better at night than the Bushnell though.Like to eatbatteries as well!

<U>Moultrie</U> -It is so much more user friendly than the leaf river. Its very easy to use, much like the Bushnell, however its much better quality all around than the Bushnell. And, I like how it puts the time, date, moon phase, temp, etc. on the bottom of each picture (see those pic above). The quality is 10x better than the Bushnell, and only slightly better than the Leaf River...but definitely better pic quality than both. Believe it or not, the Moultrie is not that bad on batteries either. I fell in love with this camera last year as it easy passed the others in every category.

I wish I had 3 Moultries now instead of one of each. Spend the little extra cash and be happy with your product.<U>Get the Moultrie!!!</U>

·
Registered
556 Posts
Update on the Leaf River from 2008 season: Mine is broken AGAIN! For the 3rd time (never been dropped or anything). Don't bother with one, IMO. I HATE that damn thing!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also, if you want to see video, then picture pm me. I have a 5 second video of two very nice shooter bucks, then the picture that was taken after the video :takephoto. It will show you the quality of the video and picture as well.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Heck, i'll just add it here. Still shot froma video (I paused the video and did a copy to my clipboard, then paste):

Actual photo after a video clip:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Chris Couture (12/20/2008)I too would like to know everyone's luck. I've had crap for luck. Had a CuddyBack and it would flash but would only store the photo 1/2 of the time. Tried 4 different cards and they all worked about 1/2 the time even though the camera would flash.

Switched it out for a Leaf River and it took about 5 photos and now it doesn't work. I'm in contact with their tech support now and they said that they would send me a new one if we couldn't resolve the issues...)
Which model CuddeBack did you have?

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,546 Posts
I've had 2 cudde experts, a cudde no-flast, 2 leaf rivers and a couple of home brew 35mm. All 3 of my cuddes took a dump on me and customer service was terrible, they ended up giving mecredit back to the store I got them from butit was about 1/2 of what I paid for them. That's how I got my1st to I40's. My 2 leaf rivers worked well but the triggers were slow.I don't use my home brews anymore because having the film printed was getting $$$...they are almost 10years old and still work great though and have a faster trigger than any cudde even thought about having.

Igot2moultrie I40's last year and have bought 2 more this year and hoping there is another one under the tree! Hands down they are the easiestand most dependable camera I have used. The trigger is faster than my cudde no-flash (....not as fast as the expert though but fast enough). I can get about 3500-4000 pics per set of batteries (cuddes got about 300-500). Basically it will run on 1 set of batts from Sept through Jan. Now if you are putting it on a feeder they are going to run down quicker than that especially if you have a bunch of night time activity. Like butlerCo said above you can get night time video, it has a time/date/moon phase stamp/temp, trigger is about 1-1.5 sec. I have had exactly 0 problems with any of mine.The only thing I don't like about them is the way they mount to the tree. Their shape is a little odd. It's not that big of a deal but if I had to complain that would be the only thing I got. (They are a heck of a lot easier to mount than the cuddes which require a screw and a screw driver).

If money is no object my next choice would be the Reconyx RM45 or RC60. Got a buddy that has the RC60 and it is awesome.

Here is a clip of the night time video from my I40. Let me know if you want to see some day/night pics. I got tons fo them!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Anybody know much about the STEALTH i590? I saw some decent pics from one, but don't know any other info on it at all.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
i had the stealth when they were 450.00 from cabelas and i liked everything about it but the flash. then it was stolen off the property. now i have an i40 ir and my new i40 should be delivered in the morning. here are some pics from my stealth cam. i won`t be buying the high dollar ones anymore. i40 best bang for your buck hands down.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I found this site after reading this thread. You can choose the different things you want in a camera and it selects those sttributes in the cameras that have them. Through my choices it says I need a cuddleback somethin' or another. They review a lot of cams here and have customer feedback on some of them. really helpful site.

http://www.trailcampro.com/index.aspx

·
Registered
133 Posts
do yourself a favor and check out the reviews on chasingame.com

My advice would be to get a scoutguard 550.. you wont believe this little camera... it is awesome..

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm sending 5...That's right.....5 Moultries back....6 yo cuddeback craaapped out on me this year....have 3 cuddeback captures...by far the easiest, simplest camera on the market~!!!!!!!

Coupla shots...

BTW.....This deer is now dead.....Micha Mixon capped him.....

Have had prolly 25 in the last 12 years.....

we'll see on the Cuddeback Capture....I'd recommend it hands down.....

George

1 - 20 of 28 Posts