Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find something to do with our horrible weather so before fishing becomes a possibility again I am re-rigging all my stuff. I was cut off a lot last year while trolling so for the first time in a bit I am going back to wire.

I'm looking for some expertise here on the best way to rig outfits for trolling, primarily wahoo and kings, but also YF or whatever else may hit it.

I have always used barrel swivels, usually 4-6' of wire, and sleeves to rig the lures and baits. Since I will be re-rigging quite a few lures, wanted to check and see what the latest ideas were to increase the hits. Some folks just twist the wire vs sleeves, which I have never felt comfortable with but what is your experience? Regular swivels vs barrels, is there really any difference?

What else do you do with wire to keep the fish on and into the cooler? Thanks

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have only fished wire on ballyhoo rigs and hard baits as far as trolling goes. Twist it and leave the end as your pin for rigging ballyhoo. You can use a barrel swivel if your using a hardbait or just haywire a loop at one end to clip to a snap swivel for balyyhoo rigs. Tying a good haywire twist is crucial

·
Registered
778 Posts
Something else you might try is use maybe one foot of wire for a bite leader. Haywire the hook useing the wire to act as a pin for the ballyhoo. Put your Islander or whatever you might like for a skirt on and bend the wire back and tie an Albright or a Yucatan knot to your mono leader. The mono needs to be something like Moi Moi or Ginkai that you can tie. This gives you the best of both worlds. You don't have to worry with wire when you get the fish to the boat. It also eliminates the chance of the wire kinking and your lure will run better with the mono. I used to rig Steve Kaiser's Islanders like that and it worked pretty good.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they didnt get cut off by the tails? I was always taught, albeit very amateur, that whatever leader you used needed to be at least 6 ft long to accomodate for tail whipping, not just the teeth.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My leaders are the length of my targeted quarry. I use a5' strand of 40-60# Sevenstrand for Kings. I use a knot that looks likes a snell that allows my to have one continuousleader through the 2 trebles and the lead hook. It is finished with two sleeves and an overhand knot. I use about 8' of single strand wire for Ballyhoo rigs. I know I use #7 wire, but get tangled up on the wire sizes, especially in the winter, but they typically are 80-125 # wire. I use a haywire twist followed by barrel rolls and do not have trouble with the connections. I use sevenstrand around 175 lbs for Yozuri Bonitas, etc. All my trolling lines have ball bearing swivels, I don't use welded swivels for trolling.

Good luck and Hopefully winter will pass and pass soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts