Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to take my 3 grandkids fishing in my boat. They are 5 to 8 years old. Last year I took my son and his daughter (one of my grands) over to 3-Mile bridge and we anchored up and caught a nice mess of white trout and a few under sized Spanish. That’s the easiest thing to do as it’s not far from the boat ramp and I’m pretty sure we’ll catch something. If you take kids fishing, where do you take them? Not asking for your secret spots — just in general? Sykes? Intercostal? The grass flats by sand island? Trolling? Just looking for some ideas.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,978 Posts
Find ladyfish, if you can't, find nice point with grassy bottom, fish the edges in the sand next to the grass with shrimp PIECES for pinfish, trout, flounder, redfish.......

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
I take kids often. But not to fish. We launch at Navy point. Stop at White Island and let them swim and play with the hermit crabs. Then we go to Joe Patti‘s for ice cream. Then we go to Palafox pier, tie up. And let them play in the splash pad at Plaza de Luna. Then we go across the bay to dead mans Island. Let them swim and play with the hermit crabs again. Then We head back to white island. They fall asleep on the ride. Let them swim one more time at white island. And then pick up the boat. It’s a four hour event. I burned five dollars of fuel. And they have the best time of their life, as they will testify to.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking Big Lagoon area. You are going to keep life jackets on them I hope.
Life jackets are the law for their age, but we would anyway. Each one has their own and we have extras in case they forget theirs at home. They get them on before stepping foot on the boat.

·
Registered
232 Posts
On a calm morning trolling along the beach is a pretty sure thing for Spanish mackerel, ladyfish, blue runners, and bluefish. They don't have to cast a line but can reel in lots of fish...and some they can then eat.

Fish for a couple of hours and then take them to go swimming somewhere.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I take kids often. But not to fish. We launch at Navy point. Stop at White Island and let them swim and play with the hermit crabs. Then we go to Joe Patti‘s for ice cream. Then we go to Palafox pier, tie up. And let them play in the splash pad at Plaza de Luna. Then we go across the bay to dead mans Island. Let them swim and play with the hermit crabs again. Then We head back to white island. They fall asleep on the ride. Let them swim one more time at white island. And then pick up the boat. It’s a four hour event. I burned five dollars of fuel. And they have the best time of their life, as they will testify to.
I’ve never done that with them but we’ve done several McRee trips. Last time we were there, there was a big pontoon boat with a sliding board next to us and they invited them over to use the slide. They wore themselves out.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On a calm morning trolling along the beach is a pretty sure thing for Spanish mackerel, ladyfish, blue runners, and bluefish. They don't have to cast a line but can reel in lots of fish...and some they can then eat.

Fish for a couple of hours and then take them to go swimming somewhere.
That’s a great idea. They really haven’t mastered casting yet. Well I’m sure the 8 yo could, but the others are a little young. Trolling would eliminate the casting issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts