Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've almost exclusively shot 130 gr. Core-Lokts in my .270 as long as I can remember. I'm completely satisfied with their performance, but I rarely shoot over 100 yards where I hunt. I'll be in Wyoming next month, and I was just wondering what rounds yall shoot for longer distances. Not sure if I trust a Core-Lokt at 300 yards. Opinions?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm not sure why a core lokt can't be trusted at longer distances. 300 yards isn't all that far really. A core lokt performs just like a Hornady SST, Hornady inner lock, Sierra game king, Winchester power point, etc...etc... etc... They'll work out there just like they work down here. If you can't kill a deer with a core lokt at 300 yards then it can't be killed.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I agree with bigbulls.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've just never shot them beyond about 225 yards. They always perform well for me, but when you look in a box of them, the tip is slightly different on every bullet. I just didn't know if that would affect them at longer distances, I haven't had the chance to get out and practice at 300+ yards yet.

·
Bearded Brotula
12,822 Posts
Shoot a box at 300 and see. I would shoot them at that distance all day.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
They always perform well for me, but when you look in a box of them, the tip is slightly different on every bullet. I just didn't know if that would affect them at longer distances,
Unless you are expecting sub 1/2 MOA at 500+ yards then it isn't going to matter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stumpknocker,

As you know most hunters/shooters don't like to brag or bash on on any name brand because it's a combination of gun and bullet.

Anyway, to answer your question quick and easy, I shoot a Ruger Hawkeye and my son shoots a Tikka T3. They both shoot terribly with Federal Fusion and the best with Remington Scirocco. Both in 130 grains.

We practice regulary out to 200 yards and quite often fling a few rounds out to 300 and 400 yards.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've put 30cal 180gr Rem CL bullets on target @ 500 yards out of a 300WSM. You aint gonna have a problem with them. Just shoot them at the distance you plan on hunting to get the correct dope. If I can find a pic of my target I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Didnt find the 30 cal pics, but this is 2 rds 270win 135SMK @ 500 yards.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Shot a buck with the 130gr core lock a few years back when everyone was freaking out and bought all the ammo and that was the only thing left, at about 260 yards right in the boiler room and it never exited. Could've been a fluke and hit the shoulder some but I've never had that problem with the Winchester Super X 130gr Power Points at 389,350, 320, 200 and anything in between. Here is a pick so you can see shot placement.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as damage to deer, I won't take anything over a CL. If they don't drop where they stand, there's always a killer blood trail...

·
Praedator
10,166 Posts
Each gun is different. My 30-06 will put bullets in the same hole at 100 yards with core-lokts. I put core-lokts in my .308 and it was shooting them all over the place. Federal Fusions did the best in that gun.

Find what works and roll with it. I refuse to pay more than $1.25 for a freaking round of hunting ammo. So I limit myself to that price and under for my hunting ammo. If it takes more than $1.25 for a bullet in a gun to bring down a deer at any range, you will not find me shooting that gun or ammo. I don't buy into all the hype about expensive ammo.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've shot nothing but Rem Core Lokts outa my 270 for years. I've shot mule deer, whitetails, and bear. Never had to do any tracking. I use the 150g.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts