Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the topic has been brought up before, but I never really saw a definitive answer (I know, probably b/c there isn't one). What is the best leader material when trolling Stretch 25s inshore/nearshore targeting bull reds and kings?

Based on what I have available in my arsenal right now, I've got 150 lb mono, 80 lb berkley coated steel leader, or 93lb stainless steel leader.

Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use 48# single strand about 30" long. Haywire twist at the splitring and at a 50# black swivel. Mono won't let the stretch run as deep due to the size vs single strand. Troll at about 4 to 5 mph about 75' back.:letsdrink

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
I just connect'em to the main line via a snap swivel. Never gotten bit off but did get tail whipped once. Again this is just one mans opinion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Only time I use a leader is with stretch 30s when wahoo fishing. The rest of the time I just use snap swivel dierect to main line. Never been cut off either, never and I have caught a lot of fish on them.

Brad

·
Registered
119 Posts
I normally use the wire leader that you make by twisting as well. About two weeks ago I just used a snap swivel with a brand new stretch 30, figuring the toothy critters were gone, and lost the stretch to a cut off. I am going back to the wire leader.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In the short time I've been fishing here I'velost two stretches in the bay by being cut off, so I've started using wire also. I don't know if wire will reduce my strikes though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I use about4 to 6inches (just a little longer that thelength of the lure) of single strand coffee colored stainless wire with a haywire to the Stretch and a small black barrel swivel attachedto the other end with a haywire twist. I keep my Stretches and other similar lures in PVC tubes that are glued together and in a plastic storage box. With the leaders about the length of the lure it makes storage easier.I don't believe in the long steel leaders.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Since kings are pretty much out of the picture, target reds and grouper with no leader at all. Your lures will dig deeper and have more action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts