Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I told Santa that I need a knife sharpener and maybe another filet knife

Do you prefer Electric or Manual ? what brand name is it and where in town should Santa go shop for one? or online ?

I always used a flat stone on my hunting knives and think I would prefer a large commercial

model with 3 stones and the oil bath

I'll report the forums opinion to Santa

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
My 2 cents - own a magic chefthree stage - not impressed - only use the coarse section to get really bad blades close - then switch to anohter system

The best - for bench sharping ($200) the EZEsharp

http://www.proknifesharpeners.com/EZESharp%20knife%20sharpener.htm

The best to keep handy on the cleaning table to whip a blade back-up to snuff in the middle of a pile of fish - set of vee 9" ceramic sticks

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=LSLCSGM4

Best general purpose filet knife - dexter russel 7" or 8"white handle sani-safe handle (look behind the counter at Joe Patties)

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
I've used the ceramic "Crock Sticks" before. They work well, but cumbersome.

This is what they use on the Charter boat "Entertainer". It's available at most tackle shops. Tommy has them in his store for aprox $7.00. This is what I use in the kitchen. 3 swipes and your good to go.

This is the one that is on the Charter boat "Snapper Trapper". Capt Paul has this screwed to the cutting table. They are made by the same company as the ones above.

·
Registered
840 Posts
X-Shark (12/18/2009)I've used the ceramic "Crock Sticks" before. They work well, but cumbersome.

This is what they use on the Charter boat "Entertainer". It's available at most tackle shops. Tommy has them in his store for aprox $7.00. This is what I use in the kitchen. 3 swipes and your good to go.

This is the one that is on the Charter boat "Snapper Trapper". Capt Paul has this screwed to the cutting table. They are made by the same company as the ones above.

These are what I use also. There may be A few ways to get A knife A little sharper then this method but I dont know any faster or more convenient.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I bought this Tactical sharpener at Jimmy's in ft walton and it's awesome.I keep it on my key chain.

Sorry for the crappy pics , phone cam.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Not sure of the correct name, but the middle piece of a big street light type bulb works wonderful. The biggest ones are inside a 1000w metal halide lamp.

Now don't you folks go stealing street lights,but if you know an electrician just ask him to save you one.Break the glass and remove the filament, you will be amazed.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Dexter-Russell 9" fillet for softer skinned fish(wahoo,dolphin,tuna)

Dexter-Russell Diamond sharpener has served me well thru the years

Dexter-Russell 8" serrated blade for sawing thru hard stuff(gilling tuna and such)

Fish with armor(trigger,sheaphead,etc.) get the perimeter cut with a hook blade(carpet blade)on a utility knife before getting a taste of an American Angler electric knife.

Most available from all our "Local" bait&tackle store except the electric which I got at Academy on Davis Hwy. Don't know off hand who carries which brand of electrics. Just a few ideas to help Santa find his way.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I do this for a living (clean fish work on charters) and have used Dexter russels for a long time I started using forchsner(spl?) knives and will never buy another Dexter russel again. As far as sharpening knives get yourself a good diamond stone and a ceramic stick it will be all you will ever need.

·
Registered
430 Posts
i just bought these cardboard sharpening wheels that go on a bench grinder for $50.these things are bad ass i'll never use anything ever again.if you have ever gotten your knifes sharpened at a basspro ,it's the same wheels.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm in agreeance with dexters and the good ole diamond steel. A couple swipes and its able to almost shave with. Keep it simple, too many sharpeners will take off too much steel when sharpening and before you know it no knife left.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of edge your looking for or what kind of knife you're sharpening, but I've been using these little sharpeners for years now and I love them. They're inexpensive and lifetime warranted. I have them everywhere now... I wouldn't use them to sharpena $100 knife, but they'll put an edge on an old cheap Pakistan knife that will shave the hair off your arm in seconds and that's all I ask... The stones are too much work and I've noticed no discernable difference in how long the blade stays sharp with one vs. the other, but I know with about 3 swipes on these little jewels, I'm back in business. You can buy them locally from one of the vendors at the Gulf Breeze Flea Market for $7 ea. I especially like the fact that no part of my anatomy has to get too close to an extremely sharp blade.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=rada+knife+sharpener&_sacat=See-All-Categories

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Wild Injun (12/18/2009)I do this for a living (clean fish work on charters) and have used Dexter russels for a long time I started using forchsner(spl?) knives and will never buy another Dexter russel again. As far as sharpening knives get yourself a good diamond stone and a ceramic stick it will be all you will ever need.
+1

·
SaltWaterDave
1,848 Posts
Catchin Hell (12/18/2009)I'm not sure what kind of edge your looking for or what kind of knife you're sharpening, but I've been using these little sharpeners for years now and I love them. They're inexpensive and lifetime warranted. I have them everywhere now... I wouldn't use them to sharpena $100 knife, but they'll put an edge on an old cheap Pakistan knife that will shave the hair off your arm in seconds and that's all I ask... The stones are too much work and I've noticed no discernable difference in how long the blade stays sharp with one vs. the other, but I know with about 3 swipes on these little jewels, I'm back in business. You can buy them locally from one of the vendors at the Gulf Breeze Flea Market for $7 ea. I especially like the fact that no part of my anatomy has to get too close to an extremely sharp blade.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=rada+knife+sharpener&_sacat=See-All-Categories[/quote]

+1 on this too! I used to use the Dexter and it's a good knife but then someone bought me the Rada fillet knife and sharpener and now they both have a special place on the cleaning table. All my kitchen knifes are Rada too. Two or three swipes through the sharpener and you're good.

There is a vendor in th flea market like mentioned above. I would recommend visiting them and give it a try.

·
Registered
339 Posts
DEFINETLY DIAMOND STONE. I LIKE D.M.T. BUTTERFLY TYPE TWO SIDED. FOR TACKLE BOX AND BACK PACK. IF YOU HAVE TABLE TOP SHARPENING IN MIND GO WITH THE LARGER ONE.AND WE LIKE TO FINISH IT OFF ON A STEEL. NO OIL. JUST WATER.

ITOO AM A BIG FAN OF THE FORSHNER. THE 7" OR 8"BONEING WILL FILLET, SKIN, AND WORK GOOD ON EVERYTHING ME AND MY SONS HAVE TRIED.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts