Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of new reels for trout reds and Spanish, etc... Have had Penn SS for years and always having to take them in for repair. Have tried the Penn battle but one year into it, it went into the shop. I Have owned one shimano and it never had a problem once. So looks like I'll go with shimano. What is the best, most durable, salt water capable reel out there? Price no issue. With small kids my gear gets treated rough and I wade fish a good bit so my reels get soaked. Love to hear anyone's comment on "the BEST" spinning reel out there. Also, I'm fishing all braided line.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
This is very surprising to hear on your Penn's.

I've used Penn's all my life, never had to take one in for repair before I wore all the gears/bearings out.

Can't really recommend a different reel for you to try.
Maybe others can offer their opinions...

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,546 Posts
In need of new reels for trout reds and Spanish, etc... Have had Penn SS for years and always having to take them in for repair. Have tried the Penn battle but one year into it, it went into the shop. I Have owned one shimano and it never had a problem once. So looks like I'll go with shimano. What is the best, most durable, salt water capable reel out there? Price no issue. With small kids my gear gets treated rough and I wade fish a good bit so my reels get soaked. Love to hear anyone's comment on "the BEST" spinning reel out there. Also, I'm fishing all braided line.
Shimano makes a fine reel, but I have sworn off of Shimano. The reason is because they do not support their reels past about 5 years. When you pay good money for a reel it should not have to be replaced when the parts for that particular model runs out. For instance I have Penns that are over 30 years old and you can still get parts. I have a Daiwa that old as well, and you can still get parts. So what makes Shimano think they can discontinue a model and not support that model with parts. I personally believe and this is just my opinion but it is greed. Forcing you to buy a new reel whenever yours starts having problems, simply because parts are no longer available to fix it right. I will also tell you I am really impressed with the new Daiwa BG series. Pretty impressed with them so far!

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,541 Posts
I was in the same boat, I used Penn for decades and was loyal thru and thru, till I used a shimano then it was over for penn. My last 440SS is on my sabiki rod and it grinds and feels like crap and yes I pulled the cover when bought new out of the box and put more grease in them.

Shimano makes a fine reel, but I have sworn off of Shimano. The reason is because they do not support their reels past about 5 years. When you pay good money for a reel it should not have to be replaced when the parts for that particular model runs out. For instance I have Penns that are over 30 years old and you can still get parts. I have a Daiwa that old as well, and you can still get parts. So what makes Shimano think they can discontinue a model and not support that model with parts. I personally believe and this is just my opinion but it is greed. Forcing you to buy a new reel whenever yours starts having problems, simply because parts are no longer available to fix it right. I will also tell you I am really impressed with the new Daiwa BG series. Pretty impressed with them so far!

Hmm well that shines a new light, I didn't know that.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had issue with mid grade Penn's as well(Battle, Fierce, Pursuit). I took em to Ocean Master Keith for service and a little a supe up. Been money ever since. Shimano makes a great reel, no question about it. I just like Penns. Especially the bang for your buck that you get out of the ones I listed above.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was in the same boat, I used Penn for decades and was loyal thru and thru, till I used a shimano then it was over for penn. My last 440SS is on my sabiki rod and it grinds and feels like crap and yes I pulled the cover when bought new out of the box and put more grease in them.

Hmm well that shines a new light, I didn't know that.

I have some older Penn SSM's 650 through 950 as well as a couple of older Penn Slammers and never a problem. The smaller SSG's however (350 and 450)which are graphite bought new around the same time are long gone. Completely worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,372 Posts
I love my Penn Battles and my KK Penn 700 greenie, but the feel of this new one by 13 Creed X is got me wondering. Ain't used it yet so can't give a real opinion on it but just messing with it and my battles, it's smoother then them!!! Pompano Joe and Oceanmaster can fix up whatever you get so no worries, just go by feel since it's an extension of ya!!!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Shimano Stella 3000XG

Easy answer

Why because it Lasts, smoothest reel, and handles saltwater like a charm.

Like everything in the world u get what u pay for.

If ur addicted to fishing and plan on using it practically daily and u have money. Then DONT hesitate and buy you the best reel on the market. U wont be disappointed

Now would you like to know what the BEST rod is to match that reel? LOL

Shimano Stella's have been at the top of the spinning reel game since they've come out all other companies and competitors are ONLY trying to reach their bar

From a 3000 to a 20k inshore to offshore there is ONLY 1 Best

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Agreedfinding parts for a 15 year old stella is impossible

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm fond of Penn and Shimano. As for Shimano's, I've always had good luck when I had my Stradics before having to sell them some years back. Now I've got Penns and they will horse nearly everything in that bites the hook.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,080 Posts
They do not support their reels. Ive tried to get parts for reels just a few years old. "Not Available".

They sell their parts to a few select dealers like Southwestern. When Southwestern runs out they are "unattainable".

I love my new Sustain 2500..!!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Shimano Stella 3000XG

Easy answer

Why because it Lasts, smoothest reel, and handles saltwater like a charm.

Like everything in the world u get what u pay for.

If ur addicted to fishing and plan on using it practically daily and u have money. Then DONT hesitate and buy you the best reel on the market. U wont be disappointed

Now would you like to know what the BEST rod is to match that reel? LOL

Shimano Stella's have been at the top of the spinning reel game since they've come out all other companies and competitors are ONLY trying to reach their bar

From a 3000 to a 20k inshore to offshore there is ONLY 1 Best
Sponsored by Shimano by any chance? :whistling:

I have some Shimano Symetre's that have held up so far, but up till last year it was mostly bass fishing. One is starting to grind a bit and I need to have it looked at, the rest have held up so far but not as smooth as they once were. Probably have them all rehab'd soon.

I have found my Lew's baitcasters to be pretty reliable, I still use an old BB-1 for launching topwater baits. So far they have held up to my abuse pretty well for inshore. If I had to choose right now I'd take another Lew's over a Shimano, but I have a heavy preference for baitcasters due to my lifetime of bass fishing, so I'm biased there.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Sponsored by Shimano by any chance? :whistling:

I have some Shimano Symetre's that have held up so far, but up till last year it was mostly bass fishing. One is starting to grind a bit and I need to have it looked at, the rest have held up so far but not as smooth as they once were. Probably have them all rehab'd soon.

I have found my Lew's baitcasters to be pretty reliable, I still use an old BB-1 for launching topwater baits. So far they have held up to my abuse pretty well for inshore. If I had to choose right now I'd take another Lew's over a Shimano, but I have a heavy preference for baitcasters due to my lifetime of bass fishing, so I'm biased there.
No not sponsored. His question was, what is the BEST inshore reel?

Shimano Stella's are world known as the best* its really a easy answer. :yes:

The day another company comes out with a better reel, the world will know. Until then FISH SHIMANO

·
Wolfgang
257 Posts
For years I was a Penn guy. But over time I have come to be a "whatever works guy".
I jusk make damn sure that I have a back up.

Since it gets soaked in the saltwater a lot surf fishing, I use a Quantum Optix 60P. My inshore go-to is a Penn 5500ss, circa 2002. I keep my Penn 7500ss, circa 1995, for back up. And I always bring my 714z for fun.
For being the cheapest reel, the Quantum is the smoothest. Always rinse/soak your reels. Always. Corrosion will kill your gear.

·
Super Moderator
28,372 Posts
Heck i still have 3 Mitchell 304's (50-60 years old) i commonly use....alot of it is how you take care of your stuff...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Stella is high dollars. You could get a Stradic and be fine for inshore. Prolly buy 3 or 4 of them for the same money. Stella might be the best , only know of a couple owners. Unless tuna popper fishing not needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Shimano Stradic

If you are buying new, then for the money give me a Shimano Stradic. Get the regular model, not the new Ci4+ (I think those are just a little too weak). I like a 3000 size for throwing lures, jigs, etc. I like a 4000 size or 5000 size for tossing live baits, particularly for bull reds.

The Shimano Stellas are very nice, but wayyy too expensive.

I've never had any problems with any of my Stradics and they take a beating, get dropped in the water when wading, left in the boat for months, and handle lots of fish.

The only other reel Shimano sold that might have been a better value is the old Spheros FA or FB models. They were designed to be a saltwater work horse, they're pretty simple and easy to maintain. I've got a bunch of 4000FBs and a few 3000FAs and FBs. Man, those things were about $50-$75 less than the Stradic and held up just as well. I have maintained mine and always look for them on eBay. The newer Spheros aren't made to the same standards. There are plenty of parts available out there, too, if you need them (I only know this because they show up in eBay searches for the reel itself).

Tight lines.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts