Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting my search into upgrading my rods. The articles I have read seem to favor 7ft rods. Just looking for some suggestions from those of you who really get a chance to fish a lot. Also what action do you use such as med, med/heavy and what test line. I`ve just been yak fishing on and off over the last few years but really want to get more serious and involved. I would really appreciate any input anyone can provide.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hey Patman. The longest I've gone is 9'. There are a lot of circumstances that'll change you're gear requirements. If you specify what you'd like to target, many of us will have some advice. I've caught plenty of fish on 6 1/2' and some on 9' from the yak. It all depends on what you're after, what you're tossing, and your bait/lure. Tight lines!!! YRM

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am primarily looking for reds and some trout. I would say for the most part I`ll be inshore on the flats and hitting docks and dock lights. In the past I mostly used gulps and some live shrimp. Tried some top waters but no luck so far. I am still learning the times to go and tides effect etc. This I is why I really want to get out and get serious and learn. I work near Barbers marina in Elberta and there are a bunch of docks across from the marina which I would love to try at night.:thumbup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
For reds, and trout you needn't much more than a 7' ultra light. The flats will produce the slots you want, and you'll have some fun bringing them in on some lighter gear and terminal tackle. If you're using live shrimp a knocker rig, Carolina rig or a popping cork will work perfectly on an ultra light setup. You can also switch to artificials and lures easily. There are plenty of options for lures that reds and trout will hit....many folks will give guidance on this. Just switch it up and find out what'll work. The 17MR from mirrolure does handle business well though. I've even worked them under a popping cork while wading and caught fish. For slot reds and trout you don't need anything special as far as a rod is concerned. A 6-7 foot ultra light will do. Hopefully this answers your question. My go to setup if I have live shrimp is the popping cork with a size 1 circle hook with a flouro leader. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Tight lines!!!! YRM

·
Registered
679 Posts
The thing I learned quick with yak fishing was that if the length of the butt on your rod is too long it makes it hard to maneuver and caused a lot of fatigue in a short period of time. I prefer the 6'6" -7'rod with a 4000 series reel for the yak. I am mainly targeting bull reds and jacks and sharks. UGLY

·
Registered
318 Posts
7 footers seem to work in an Outback. It is just long enough to get the rod tip around the bow and stern without too much trouble. When I use my 8 footers, they of course work, but its annoying to get line wraps off the tip of the rods and stuff without dunking the reel. In a longer yak, maybe 7'6" or 8?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for giving me some good info, it is very helpful. Today I am going to start looking to around and play touchy feely and see what I like.

·
Registered
664 Posts
+1 on 7'. My favorite is a Med Heavy... can sling a lure a mile but still fun to bring in the avg speck. I use 12 mono for my topwater setup and 10# (I think) braid on my other

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to bass pro Saturday and spoke with a guy there that is yak fisherman. He showed me some Shakespeare ugly stik 7ft inshore select rods in med and med/hvy. They are 49.99 and seems to be of good quality and they have a good warranty. I think that's what I will try to begin with. I think you have 60 days to try it out to see if you like it so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I will have to make a trip back over there Sat. to get them. Once I get a chance to use them I`ll give an update. Again thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
168 Posts
7-7 1/2, The main thing I look for is making sure I can maneuver the rod around the port and stern of the yak without getting up while maintaining good control over the rod, I lost count how many times I got a red up to my yak and then he decides to swim around or under my yak.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts