Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a long new driveway I’ve been cutting through a clear cut area. It’s dirt/grass now with over 75 tree stumps from where the loggers left the stumps while cutting. It’s not a wet area so I don’t think I’ll have an issue with standing water. It’s also fairly level about half way and then a gradual couple percent drop in grade but the slight drop I think I’m going to clear that whole area as a “backyard” and get some grass down for some animals. I have to figure out the best economical way to get rid of the stumps but after that I’m thinking of laying down some gravel/crush r’ run/asphalt millings /etc... For half of the driveway. Question is what is the best type of covering to put down? I’ve heard to stay away from certain ones due to heavy dust. What have y’all experienced with doing this type of work. What has worked out good for you or what have you wished you would have done differently? I don’t want to spend a fortune so I’m sure I’m going to have to compromise on the best with what I can afford but there’s a lot of options. I’m not opposed to just leaving it dirt/grass driveway but just wondering if another covering would be better in the long run. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
404 Posts
Asphalt millings. Strip organics off of road. Compact subgrade with roller. Haul in asphalt millings (I recommend 3-4” thick). Compact with roller as installed. As it gets hot in the summer and driven on more it’ll get hard like asphalt pavement if there is enough tar left in the millings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Another vote for asphalt millings. We had some property in MO that the water kept running down the road washing huge ruts in it. Packed it with asphalt millings and not a bit of eroding now, water just runs right off and its like driving on the highway. As has been said make sure you have a well packed base.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts