Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going into out into the gulf fishing but have always keep land in sight.What I am looking for is a gps unit that will allow me to put in a few numbers for wrecks and fishing spots and will give me a course for getting there and back. I don't know if a hand held unit will allow this or not. Any reccomendations on unit types or brands would be helpful--Thanks

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,242 Posts
Garmin. I still have and use my Garmin 76 handheld. It is as accurate as my boat's gps. Make sure you get a waas capable gps if you buy used. Sea-r-cy :toast

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
X2 on the 76. i love mine. what ever you get make it a garmin. For GPS anyway.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
If you want a hand held I have had two different etrex by garmin they are cheap and as accurate as my larger garmin on my boat. For about a year that was all I used and had very good luck. I would suggest to get a middle to upper end unit,the lower end are cheap and work well but the higher end ones have more functions. You can get a nice unit in the etrex line for less than $200.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You can't beat the Garmin 76, mind is the old mono model and serves as a backup. My most recent boat mountedis a Humminbird, it was a last year's model but loaded with a mapped programs.
The Humminbird replaced the GPS on my combo Lowrance unit. (This could be an ongoing discussion in itself.)
Other members can contribute on other brands, but my Lowarnce GPS went out while we were 22 miles out, thank goodness I was able to pull out my Garmin. We still had a compass and knew the general heading but the 76 made is easy.
Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Stay away from Lowrance and buy Garmin!</p>

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same question about 6 months ago. For price/functionality, you can't beat a Garmin 72. It is a hand held job but works flawlessly. New they run about $150, I picked one up from a coworker for $100. I was skeptical at first but have found out first hand how well it works. First trip with it, went 20 miles out and it put us right on the fish. Besides if you ever go out of site of land with no or a broken GPS use your compass and head NORTH!!!! J/K. If you can find a spot without a GPS in the Gulf there is no way you couldn't make it back in.

Get Sick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts