Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you consider your best catch ever? Adding pictures would be proof, but text will work, we'll

believe ya!

One catch stands out in my mind. Two of us were fishing at a dam on the Wisconsin River searching for

Walleye and Sauger. We were just about ready to leave. The boat was in 20' of water with a gravel bar

in front of us sitting within 4' of the water surface. I had an ultra light rod spooled with 8lb. test and a

small jig. I foul hooked a sturgeon (sp?) by the tail. He meandered up the slope of of the bar, we

unanchored and followed him. Got him up beside the boat, estimated his length at 5' and probably 60lbs.

Landed him in less than 10minutes. I truely don't think he knew he was hooked. They were out of season,

so we let him swim away. It was very cool. The same day my buddy caught about a 30lb. paddle fish.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hard to pick my best catch but here is a few. 40lb Stripped Bass on Blackwater, 70lb Cobia caught on a weedline, and a few 20lb+ Grouper.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I really can't say it's my BEST catch... because I've caught some honker REDS... aking... a honker bobo... etc.. etc... BUT... to me... the BEST so far...was catching that 41" Jack from my yak with a small spinning set on a 3" jig. :hotsun

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
my wife!! and a 84.28 # cobia!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
100 lb amberjack, All the kings me or my crew have caught to win Bud Lite tournament, Outcastking tournament,and many SKA events, 13.5 dusky, large mako, 11.9 bass, etc...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Its not necesarilly my biggest catch ever but in terms of luck and size combined. When I was 13 years old I was fishing a farm pond in VA with a buddy of mine. I brought two rods with me one for bass and one for catfish. I showed up rigged up my catfish rod with a hunk of blugill carolina rigged and I went on working the nearby shoreline for bass with a buzzbait. The fishing was slow but we were persistant and I was about 30 yards from where my catfish rod was sitting when I heard a splash and my buddy laughin his ass off. I turn look and ask him "What the hell was that?! and where is my rod?!" He was barely able to get it out of him that a fish had just pulled my rod in the water. I get all furious and stormover there, sure enough my rod is not there... This pond is really nasty and I knew that the bottom was pure mud andthere were constantly airpockets releasing bubbles from the bottom. I was searchin for some bubbles that could be my rod and sureenough about 20 feet off the bank I saw some bubbles that were slowly moving diaganal to the bank toward the center of the pond. I strip down tomyboxers jump in, feel with my toes and find the rod. I hold the rod up in excitement and sure enough the damn fish is still on it!I fought it for about 5 minutes and it turned out to be a catfish between 8-10lbs!!!I highly doubt I will ever be able to top that story butI know for sure I will be telling it for a life time! Itwas at that moment thatI learned the function of thedrag system!!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
While bass fishing with my grandfather when I was younger, I snagged a branched yanked on it and then snagged his lip just under his nose, I almost jumped out of the boat.

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
24 lb Tarpon on a 6 lb tippet, paid the money for a kill tag and had him mounted over my fireplace, i believe that was Cooper Taxidermies 1st Tarpon, around 1992. Any one do crown moulding?????!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
This is a snapper me and my dad caught at a certain near shore spot (less than 2 miles from land) I say we both caught it because when my dad hooked it got into the wreck.......I put it into the rod holder and opened the bail. 5 mins later I go over pick it up and start pulling it up. It took a while to get up because we were using light spinning tackle.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Icaught a blue marlin last summer on a charter boat in st. thomas. It was estimated between 350 and 400 pounds (released).What a fight!!We got some pics, but it was difficult in all the commotion...

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I came down to P'cola one year and the spanish were RUNNING!!! There were well over a hundred people on the pier, but there were only about 5 of us catching any. I probably caught 50 or 60. Once I got the limit (10 if I remember that year) I would cullthe smallestand hand it to someone not catching any. I ended up with 10 that were over 5 or 6 lbs each and ALOT of happy new friends (that got free fish)!

The biggest hardest fightin that I ever caught was this one... I can confirm that the red one fight harder!:doh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts