Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find an anchor that will hold a 21' boat offshore in around 60-160' feet. What are the anchors that don't require a lot of rope? I have seen the wreck hooks and the idea sounds great--what are the down falls to this kind of anchor besides maintaince issues? Last season I got really tired of being close to a wreck with a great spot only to drift off cause the anchor wouldn't catch.

·
Registered
337 Posts
There is no substitute for a 5 to 1 scope. The only sure way to stay over a spot is to used two anchors set 90 degrees apart from each other. Extra chain never hurts either

·
Registered
810 Posts
well, what is the anchor going to grab?

If your GPS will do "tracks", with a little practice accurate anchoring is pretty straightforward. just go to your spot, let the wind and current blow you away, move pretty much 180 degrees opposite from the drift upstream of the spot by a factor of 3-5 ( in most seas) and drift back again. iie, if you are in 60', you need to move at least 180-200' past your spot to drop, depending on water, current, etc. If you cross your spot on the second or third drift, move back to the up wind / current spot and drop, then adjust rode length as needed. (Assumes of course you have a good anchor and chain deployed too)

Lots of folks like to deploy marker bouys too, they are good but can also be fouled in props or lines when fishing, your choice. wreck anchors are only good if seas are calm and you are able to grab onto something and hold on very close, a boat length or less usually in my experience.

This is one of those things that with a few hours practice, you will look like a pro. If your GPS won't do tracks, then the bouy marker is the only viable option, same process, but you will have to drift back over your bouy to get where you want to be.

just how I do it, not rocket science but pretty straightforward to put the boat over where you want to fish

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I may be wrong, but I think the key to an anchor holding in normal conditions is the weight and length of the lead chain.

Sealark on the forum could probably has some advise on the subject.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I am no expert. I have a 21' cc. I use a fortress anchor rated to a 25' boat. I carry 12' of chain and 300' of rope. I switched to the longer chain and it solved my problems. Use the advice posted above about tracking and such.

Only downfall to a fortress- it's expensive, so if you get it hung... I personally have never lost mine, but I have (on more than one occasion) spent 30 minutes trying to free it from a wreck.

Last advice- don't be afraid to pull anchor & reset it several times to get right where you want to be. It's good practice.

·
Registered
749 Posts
When fishing a shallow wrecka wreck anchor would be ideal. Inexpensive, easy to get back, and will hold you close to the fringe of your structure. If you are going out to the edge then the rode's scope, lenght of chain, and the anchor type will become much more important. With practice anchoring on a target becomes easy (but not always). Research the forum on how to attach your chain to your anchorto greatly increase the odds of getting it back.

Even if you get "spot on" the the first time, as the conditions change you will need to make adjustments. By changing the point were the rode comes to the boat you cancause to boat to moveport or starboard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts