Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are everyone's opinions on 24' bay boats. Looking to buy used and spend 30,000 or less. Fish mostly offshore/nearshore but love the versatility of a bay boat. So, which brands do you feel would perform the best given these parameters.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Key West by far best bay boat for offshore have been ten miles out on a 17 ft,
but im sure others will chime in hope you find what your looking for.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Kenner's 24 model is an awesome boat, but I personally like the Carolina skiff sea chaser 24' model, it's closer to 26ft. Drafts almost nothing and will fly. What exactly are you looking to be able to do in it?

·
Registered
464 Posts
i went out with a friend this weekend in his 24' sea hunt. it was a smooth day so i can't say how they'd handle rougher waters but i was impressed. good amount of room and good mileage. 30 miles we ended up 30 miles offshore

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
look for a sea pro. SV2300 bay boat. I have a SV1900, has nice dry ride compared to a 22' wellcraft deep V I had. Even look at the SV2100. Make sure its not underpowered,

·
Registered
14,077 Posts
I do not have much first hand knowldge, but he Cape Horn sure looks like a dry boat, and it is from I have been told.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out the 23 Bay Bolt by Hydra Sports. I bought one a year ago and it is a great boat for around here. Lots of space because of the wide beam and is very stable. It also is a well built/heavy boat and handles the slop well. I've had it in less 16 inches of water fishing the flats and 20 miles offshore in the same day. You should be able to find a well equipped 2004-2006 model for under 30K. When I was looking at boats I also looked at the Blazer Bay and Kenner 24ft rolled hull models, both nice boats and I believe they come from the same mold.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input guys, I know discussion of boat brands and performance can tend to stir the pot some and I really don't want to do that here. To answer the question of what I want to do with the boat: I have a 20' bay boat now. It is a Proline. It seems to be built almost identical to the 20' pathfinder boat. I don't want to give up the ability to fish inshore so I want to stick with a bay boat (casting decks, etc.) however most of my fishing winds up being offshore. We fish up to around 9-10 miles out now on the boat that I have. By moving up to a 24' boat I hope to increase my range and comfort while offshore. I've been doing some serious looking around online and researching what I can find on how different brands perform offshore. I DO realize that a bay boat is called a bay boat for a reason so I don't have unrealistic expectations on how it will perform offshore. I have noticed that bay boats tend to fall into two categories, those built similar to pathfinders (low gunnels, more flats boat looking) and those built more like the hydrasports (heavier, higher sides) Again, thanks for all the input and keep it coming!

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,305 Posts
Look at Dorado Boats, Andros, and Panga Marine. They are expensive but that is what they are made for.

·
Helo Driver
131 Posts
Concur with the above, also look at Blue Wave. They've been around since the 60's, great ride, great range, great company. Just test drove one of their 24 ft models about 3 weeks ago, very impressive in some nastier water and they flew on the smoother stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts