Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a freswater fisherman thats really starting to like saltwater fishing, Ive been mainly doing this inshore fishing and off the shore on the NAS Naval base. Im still very new at it and Im trying to learn about the species, what there biting, how to catch them and what seasons to catch them?? Whats the best way to start? Is thereany good reference material for someone like myself? Could anyone out there give me some simple advice?? Thanks!!!

·
Praedator
9,978 Posts
You are starting off right by coming here. Search the inshore reportssection here. Many times folks will mention what they were using for bait and their technique etc... Browse the Inshore Q&A as well. This forum cuts down on the amount of trial an error a guy needs to do on the water. Just poke around and read as much as possible. I can't catch a damn thing on a hook and line:banghead. So I am no help in that aspect.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
If you've got the ability book a charter with on of the inshore guides, they will teach you everything you need to know to get a really good start. Matt Mcleod would probably be my first choice to start with, he's done it all pretty much, and he knows offshore too so you can learn the full range.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!!! i have been using a silver spoon, I'll go out and get me a gold one today. I went on Capt Bazz fishing charter and we was catching sheephead. Latley Ive been fishing here on the naval base with this guy whos beengoing. We catch baitfsih, hook em and throw it out there waiting for anything to take it. No luck yet!!!I also been taking the spoon looking for ladyfish to hook. Thats the only fishing that Ive been doing on my own. Whats good around this season and whats the best live bait?

·
Registered
90 Posts
[/quote] whats the best live bait?[/quote]

There are many good live baits, pinfish, croaker, ly, menhaden, shrimp.etc.

Shrimp under a popping cork works well. You cant beat a baby LY.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If you want to have some fun on the beach, there are multiple species to catch.Go out somewhere along Pcola beach and throw a gotcha, bucktail, pomp jig, or a spoon. With these, you will get ladies, hardtails, blues, spanish, and maybe some sharks! They are thick right now and you shouldn't have a problem getting a hook up. Make sure you have some steel leader on!

·
Registered
418 Posts
One of the quickest and best lessons that you can get is by saving your allowance (extra money) and hiring a local guide for a day to take you fishing. These guys are professionals and will do a good job on educating you about the local waters and the marine life. And they have a way of making it fun.

I did this when I want to learn to fish for snook and tarpon in South Florida. It was the best money I could spend.

I did this for my youngest son's birthdayhere in Pensacola a few years back. He still talks about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts