Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched my kayak in a pretty well used area of the sound at sunrise Monday. Wind was SW maybe 8 and it was a little choppy for topwater although I cast the bone a few times in the shallows with no luck. Tall clouds were on the horizon so I was staying close to my put-in. Switched to a pearl minnowz and started catching small to medium size trout. Released a 15, kept a 17. Thunderheads were coming closer so the day was looking short. I haven't really used twitch baits much and I had tried the Alabama Leprechaun a couple of times before with no great success. But I decided to give it a shot in a place I saw active bait, rigged on my brand new (birthday) 7 1/2' MLF Mojo Yak and Clash 2000. I started casting in about 4' of water over grass with the twitch twitch pause retrieve. First fish was not remarkable...about 13". Then something smacked it hard but no hookup. A couple of casts later I felt a thump and a pull, gave it a good set and it was on. After breaking in the new rod and reel, a beautiful 22" speck came to the net and I hauled it into the kayak, at which time it leaped out of the net and the boat and forced me to fight it back to the net again. There were more fish in the area but thunder started rumbling so my day was over.
Love the new St Croix/Penn combo and love the Alabama Leprechaun. This was the first real quality trout I've landed since moving here. Looking forward to many more.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice fish and thanks for the report!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Nice fish!
thanks for the pic and post..
Gonna see if I can catch an Alabama Leprechaun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts