Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year there seems to be a barrage of easily answered questions about cobia season. Lets get a few of these FAQS about cobia fishing out of the way before it even begins...please feel free to chime in.

1.Q.do I need a manual pick-up to catch cobia. A. no..just no

2.Q. braid or mono?. A. whatever it takes for you to accurately place eel or jig in front of the fish, although braid is favored on the pier, the boat is personal preference.

3.Q.what color jig?. A. if you think a migratory cobia cares what color the jig is, if it has tentacles or glitter in the epoxy; you are wrong. the #1 reason a fish doesn't eat is poor presentation.

4.Q.setting the hook? A. people who like to make a scene and jump up and down and set the hook 10 times are only doing themselves a dis-service....the soft tissue tears easily and creates a hole for the jig to fall out...usually at the gaff

5.Q.what gear do I need? A. very dependent on whether you have the ability to chase a fish(boat) or are stationary(pier/ladder). I wouldn't categorize cobia as "fast" fish by any means, but they more than make up for it in power, the wide tail gives them excellent "digging" ability. a stout 8-9' rod with a matching 5000 or 6000 class reel holding 250-300yds of line is recommended.

·
Registered
905 Posts
4.Q.setting the hook? A. people who like to make a scene and jump up and down and set the hook 10 times are only doing themselves a dis-service....the soft tissue tears easily and creates a hole for the jig to fall out...usually at the gaff
First time i saw this some young guys were doing it and i thought "either you got him or you don't, theres no need for all that crap." makin a complete scene so everyone will look at them.

also never understood why there isnt a sticky for cobia fishing since we have alot of threads asking many different questions every year. good post:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
First shot!!!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I didn't really read any of the above posts but had a few questions about the upcoming cobia season maybe you all can help with.

1. Should I use braid or mono?

2. What color jigs work best?

3. I've read that setting the hook is great for cobes. Should I do this?

4. What is your recommended gear for catching these beasts?

I couldn't resist :)

Kidding aside good thread!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I didn't really read any of the above posts but had a few questions about the upcoming cobia season maybe you all can help with.

1. Should I use braid or mono?

2. What color jigs work best?

3. I've read that setting the hook is great for cobes. Should I do this?

4. What is your recommended gear for catching these beasts?

I couldn't resist :)

Kidding aside good thread!
You funny G.I. I think I kill you rast.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I got a question...I like to chum and chunk...Will that work for them elusive cobiaers or will all the yahoos fish my slick?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts