Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
War Damn Eagle
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the laws with drinking beer while in a kayak? I know this may be a kind of a weird question but I just wanted to know. I'm not intending on gettin blasted, just wanted to sip on a few cold ones while I hit some dock lights. Anybody know the laws?

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
What are the laws with drinking beer while in a kayak? I know this may be a kind of a weird question but I just wanted to know. I'm not intending on gettin blasted, just wanted to sip on a few cold ones while I hit some dock lights. Anybody know the laws?
All I can say is that people have been given BUI citations while in kayaks and canoes. But most of the time, those people are being dumb and doing dumb stuff like trying to cross the Destin pass in a canoe.:blink:

·
Super Moderator
27,956 Posts
Since a Yak is not a registered "vehicle" and is man powered on the water, I'm not too sure of the legalities of BUI. I know on land, you can get a DUI on a bicycle....but a bicycle is considered a "vehicle". My opinion would be BUI laws would still apply. You know your abilities, just ask yourself...would I drive a vehicle "in this shape"...Too much crap can happen on the water and using something that may impair your judgement is not a smart move...

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I have some beers with me almost every time I go out. Fwc has stopped me a few times, but never said anything about it. Just don't have too many out there at night, gotta keep your wits about ya. Be smart, your head is your most important safety device. In areas like 3mi, I won't have too many beers. But if I'm in some shallow backwaters I'm prolly gonna get shitty.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ive always wondered this also. I know you can get a dui on a horse, but always wondered about a kayak or canoe. It probably just depends on who stops you and what kind of mood they are in.

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
From FWC field reports: Granted it was probably other actions that got him arrested to begin with. But he was still charged with BUI in a canoe:

This is just one I could find recently. I have seen other reports on the FWC site of BUI in canoes and kayaks. This one also says motorized canoe. But again, I have seen BUI reports from regular non-powered versions.

On Sunday, Officer Sandra Blackburn and Matthew Griffis conducted a vessel stop on a man operating an unregistered motorized canoe at night with no lights. Signs of impairment were observed and seated field sobriety tasks indicated impairment. While the subject was being arrested he began to resist and had to be wrestled to the ground. He was transported to the Duval County Jail where he refused to submit to a lawful test of his blood alcohol content (BAC). He also refused to sign any citations. In all, he was charged with resisting arrest, BUI, refusal to submit to a lawful test of his BAC, failure to sign citations and operating a vessel at night without proper navigation lights.

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
One more I found:

Officer Alan Kirchinger was on water patrol of the Crab Island area near Destin when he observed a 14?foot canoe being operated on the congested waterways. As Officer Kirchinger watched, he observed a male sitting in the rear of the canoe steering and in control. The male operator almost capsized the canoe twice as he maneuvered the vessel with what initially appeared to be another passenger in the front. Upon closer inspection, Officer Kirchinger observed another male lying in the canoe positioned in such a manner as to prevent him from ease of escape if the canoe capsized. A vessel safety equipment inspection revealed no life jackets (PFDs) or any other required safety equipment on board. Upon contact, Officer Kirchinger immediately observed signs of impairment from the operator and his passenger. Field sobriety tasks further confirmed impairment. The vessel operator was taken to the U.S. Coast Guard Station and given an opportunity to provide a breath sample which revealed .128 and .121 blood alcohol level. The operator was charged with BUI, issued a citation for insufficient PFDs, and transported to the Okaloosa County Jail. A sober driver came to the scene and picked up the impaired passenger.

·
Registered
870 Posts
As said, the rules are just like boating. Just make sure you have all your safety equipment and obviously don't be pounding beers in high traffic areas.

My guess would be that FWC is more likely to check you if you are fishing legally and then realize you are drinking, rather than check you on a kayak for drinking.

I have been checked by FWC in a boat while fishing from my kayak so they will check you. I have also been given a BUI test and passed at the Coast Guard station Destin when I had engine issues at Crab Island, the FWC came to help, and my passenger was drinking. So just be careful and safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts