Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
cescofishes (1/17/2010)How does someone become a pro angler. what do i need to do to become one. how old do you have to be.

Spend all your time, money and thoughts on fishing. Then, go get some more money and spend that too. Figure out how to add an extra 5-10 hours to your day and spend that time fishing.

Then get real lucky.

Seriously though, pro at what? Bass? Redfish?

Either way, start small. Fish -- and win -- club tournaments. Fish and win club tournaments in places you've never fished and beat guys who have grown up there.

Then go to smaller regional stuff like IFA or BASS qualifiers. Win all those.

Then go to the big leagues and win a few there. Then and only then, somebody will think about paying you to fish.

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
What I seen, money and time and luck. Stick to the shallow stuff, reds and bass. Plus the give you all the fancy clothes. (They gotta have stock in NASCAR)

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Downtime2 (1/17/2010)What I seen, money and time and luck. Stick to the shallow stuff, reds and bass. Plus the give you all the fancy clothes. (They gotta have stock in NASCAR)

but they pay the bills though....if i got paid to fish and my sponsor made me wear hot pink shirts...i wear a size Large!!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
fisheye48 (1/17/2010)
Downtime2 (1/17/2010)What I seen, money and time and luck. Stick to the shallow stuff, reds and bass. Plus the give you all the fancy clothes. (They gotta have stock in NASCAR)
but they pay the bills though....if i got paid to fish and my sponsor made me wear hot pink shirts...i wear a size Large!!
I agree. It is a fact though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. i am wanting to go pro in inshore or offshore, i guess what ever will work out. What are some great starter tournaments to fish in the pensacola area.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
cescofishes (1/17/2010)Thanks for the info guys. i am wanting to go pro in inshore or offshore, i guess what ever will work out. What are some great starter tournaments to fish in the pensacola area.

fish them all!

·
Super Moderator
5,864 Posts
Stick to the inshore with deep pockets. If you try the offshore (marlin) have some ddeeeeeeeepppp pockets. ECBC in Sandestin is 54,623.00 to get in and go across the board this year. Add your fuel and other expenses to that.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Just a little hint....professional fisherman do not make there money fishing... They all make there money in the fishing industry which ismuchdifferent. Let me explain...

IMOprofessional tournamentfishing should be a hobby not a job. (with the exception of 4 or 5B.A.S.SElite series guys) Most people think that to become a big name in the industry you have to fish tournaments and succeed in tournaments. That couldn't be more false.To become a big name in the fishing world you need to do bigthings for manufactureres in the industry. The reason you see all these guys wearing "nascar" stuff is because theyhave alleither designed product, own a manufacturing company,own a large guide business,or are sales reps for manufacturers in the fishingindustry. That is what seperates the big names from the local tournament guys. Do you think people like Blair Wiggins made it big because he won a couple FLW events? No....he made it big because he is a good business guy. He does wonders for the manufacturers he represents.If you are looking to become a "pro" then my suggestion to you would be either start a business in the industry, rep someones product, start an inshore guide service, or even start by working at a local tackle store. You need to learn the business part of fishing before becoming a pro. That is how people like Blair, Rick Murphy, and even big bass guys like Hank Parker mademost of theremoney. Keep in mind...people love to make money. So if you can find a way to make a fishing manufacturer money then you are well on your way.

I worked retail in the fishing industry, then started as the Penn rep over the south east region, now I own a fishing guide service, a fishing tackle sales rep group, and work a number of different vendor shows for manufacturers in the industry. I can honestly say that I have never finished 1st place in a fishing tournament.However, I have worked the industry and I am ata point now where if it were something I were interested in, (which its not)I could pick up the phone and get a sponsorship or on a pro staff pretty quickly. It has nothing to do with my fishing accomplishements. I am not trying to discourage you, I am just giving you advice from someone who took the same route you areeager to take.

If I were you I would fish tournaments...fish lots of tournament....but do it for fun.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
^

^

^ I am by no means a professional tournament fisherman; nor even a professional fisherman. But, what Brant has outlined above seems excellent advice. I do know that sponsorships are difficult to come by, and typically they do not pay out bigbucksunless you continue to win, win, win.

So, if you love to fish, go for it. Learn all you can, and fish often. Who knows, maybe some day you will have your own TV show, and you will wear all those fancy duds with some well known sponsor like, "<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Monotype Corsiva'">Alluring Creations[/b]", (lol - Lane's & my new venture- not necessarily pink).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
237 Posts
haha we get paid to fish and i love it

i have a couple friends down here that are practically pros at 16 and 17

i wanna get there someday but there is too much money in sellin bait to yal

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Come out to the pier this spring, Bring beer, We'll show you all you need to know before you hit the offshore stuff. P-cola pier! Beer gets you all the info you need. Watch some very good fishermen, Some who get paid to do it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
king crab i think hes talking about my friends they just started fishing bass tournaments and started winning beating the best thats around here they fished some pro tournament that was aired on tv about 3 or 4 months ago and they practically spend every weekend and all summer on the water practicing

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
baitboy (1/19/2010)king crab i think hes talking about my friends they just started fishing bass tournaments and started winning beating the best thats around here they fished some pro tournament that was aired on tv about 3 or 4 months ago and they practically spend every weekend and all summer on the water practicing
Practice makes perfect! Bring your hot shot 18 yr olds out to the Bchpier & see how hot they are! They will Quit bass fishing! We have some youngsters that will smokeThe bestbass fishermen! Totally diffrent worlds! Some of our fish will eat a bass! Now on a lake all day, Your guys should win. On the Gulf of Mexico lake, Party over!:letsdrink

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Better be Careful KingCrab, Look at who Placed 9th in the 1989 BassMasters MegaBucks Tournament with a 247 angler Field.John alsoplaced in the 1990 MegaBucks Tournament as well. John also qualified for the BassMasters Classic. I would be willing to bet that there are a lot of Bass Guys out there that would surprise you, as well as some Salty guys that would show out on Lake Eufaula........

1989 MEGABUCKS
Tournament 8902MB

Reservoir: HARRIS CHAIN OF LAKES
City/State: LEESBURG, FL

Tournament Winner: JIM BITTER
Winning Weight: 0 lbs 0 ozs

Tournament Year: 1989
Start Date: 02/20/1989End Date: 02/25/1989

Number Of Anglers: 253
Fish Caught: 2,090
Total Weight: 3,409 lbs 5 ozs
Bass Limit: 7
Limits Caught: 55
Cash Winnings: $443,000.00
Merchandise Bonus: $182,000.00
Cash Bonus: $6,000.00
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" border=0 sizset="75" sizcache="0"><TBODY sizset="75" sizcache="0"><TR sizset="75" sizcache="0"><TD vAlign=top width="5%"></TD><TD vAlign=top width="90%" colSpan=3 sizset="75" sizcache="0">
<DIV class=outdoors_subh><UL><LI>
</LI><LI class=outdoors_subh_mid>Final Standings</LI><LI>
</LI>[/list]</DIV><BR clear=all><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0 sizset="75" sizcache="0"><TBODY sizset="75" sizcache="0"><TR bgColor=#cce6ff><TD noWrap>Place</TD><TD noWrap>Angler</TD><TD>City, State</TD><TD noWrap>Total
Weight
(lbs.ozs)
</TD><TD noWrap>Cash
Winnings
($)
</TD><TD noWrap>Merch
Bonus
($)
</TD><TD noWrap>Cash
Bonus
($)
</TD><TD noWrap>Total
Winnings
($)
</TD></TR><TR sizset="75" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap sizset="75" sizcache="0">JIM BITTER</TD><TD>FRUITLAND PARK, FL</TD><TD noWrap>58.8</TD><TD noWrap>70,000</TD><TD noWrap>38,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>108,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="76" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>2</TD><TD noWrap sizset="76" sizcache="0">SHAW E GRIGSBY</TD><TD>GAINESVILLE, FL</TD><TD noWrap>79.4</TD><TD noWrap>40,000</TD><TD noWrap>38,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>78,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="77" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>3</TD><TD noWrap sizset="77" sizcache="0">RICK CLUNN</TD><TD>MONTGOMERY, TX</TD><TD noWrap>62.11</TD><TD noWrap>30,000</TD><TD noWrap>20,000</TD><TD noWrap>1,000</TD><TD noWrap>51,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="78" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>4</TD><TD noWrap sizset="78" sizcache="0">BILL BARTLETT</TD><TD>LOOKOUT MT., TN</TD><TD noWrap>46.15</TD><TD noWrap>20,000</TD><TD noWrap>20,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>40,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="79" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>5</TD><TD noWrap sizset="79" sizcache="0">TRUMAN HUDNALL</TD><TD>VIDALIA, LA</TD><TD noWrap>46.2</TD><TD noWrap>10,000</TD><TD noWrap>18,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>28,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="80" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>6</TD><TD noWrap sizset="80" sizcache="0">GERRY WILLIAMS</TD><TD>ORLANDO, FL</TD><TD noWrap>47.8</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>18,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>25,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="81" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>7</TD><TD noWrap sizset="81" sizcache="0">JOHN HALE</TD><TD>LUFKIN, TX</TD><TD noWrap>47.8</TD><TD noWrap>15,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>15,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="82" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>8</TD><TD noWrap sizset="82" sizcache="0">DAVID VANCE</TD><TD>CRANDALL, TX</TD><TD noWrap>43.9</TD><TD noWrap>12,500</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>2,000</TD><TD noWrap>14,500</TD></TR><TR sizset="83" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>9</TD><TD noWrap sizset="83" sizcache="0">JOHN HOLLEY</TD><TD>DESTIN, FL</TD><TD noWrap>39.0</TD><TD noWrap>10,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>10,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="84" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>10</TD><TD noWrap sizset="84" sizcache="0">STEPHEN DANIEL</TD><TD>CLEWISTON, FL</TD><TD noWrap>42.8</TD><TD noWrap>8,500</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>1,000</TD><TD noWrap>9,500</TD></TR><TR sizset="85" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>11</TD><TD noWrap sizset="85" sizcache="0">DENNY BRAUER</TD><TD>CAMDENTON, MO</TD><TD noWrap>36.0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="86" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>12</TD><TD noWrap sizset="86" sizcache="0">DAVID GLIEBE</TD><TD>TEMPE,, AZ</TD><TD noWrap>34.0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="87" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>13</TD><TD noWrap sizset="87" sizcache="0">BOB GARLAND</TD><TD>WASHINGTON, UT</TD><TD noWrap>33.13</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="88" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>14</TD><TD noWrap sizset="88" sizcache="0">JOHN BAISDEN</TD><TD>LEESBURG, FL</TD><TD noWrap>32.15</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="89" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>15</TD><TD noWrap sizset="89" sizcache="0">DAVID SIR--BARRED</TD><TD>KISSEMMEE, FL</TD><TD noWrap>32.10</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="90" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>16</TD><TD noWrap sizset="90" sizcache="0">KEN D COOK</TD><TD>MEERS, OK</TD><TD noWrap>32.3</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="91" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>17</TD><TD noWrap sizset="91" sizcache="0">JOE THOMAS</TD><TD>CINCINNATI, OH</TD><TD noWrap>31.6</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="92" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>18</TD><TD noWrap sizset="92" sizcache="0">MICKEY BRUCE</TD><TD>BUFORD, GA</TD><TD noWrap>30.1</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="93" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>19</TD><TD noWrap sizset="93" sizcache="0">BASIL BACON</TD><TD>SPRINGFIELD, MO</TD><TD noWrap>29.14</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="94" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>20</TD><TD noWrap sizset="94" sizcache="0">GEORGE KUZEMCHAK</TD><TD>FALLENTIMBER, PA</TD><TD noWrap>29.13</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>7,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="95" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>21</TD><TD noWrap sizset="95" sizcache="0">MARK DAVIS</TD><TD>MOUNT IDA,, AR</TD><TD noWrap>29.12</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="96" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>21</TD><TD noWrap sizset="96" sizcache="0">TOMMY BIFFLE</TD><TD>WAGONER, OK</TD><TD noWrap>29.12</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="97" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>23</TD><TD noWrap sizset="97" sizcache="0">BILL ENGLEFIELD</TD><TD>NEWARK, OH</TD><TD noWrap>29.11</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>1,000</TD><TD noWrap>6,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="98" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>23</TD><TD noWrap sizset="98" sizcache="0">STANLEY MITCHELL</TD><TD>FITZGERALD, GA</TD><TD noWrap>29.11</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="99" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>25</TD><TD noWrap sizset="99" sizcache="0">LENDELL MARTIN</TD><TD>NACOGDOCHES, TX</TD><TD noWrap>29.9</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD></TR><TR sizset="100" sizcache="0"><TD noWrap>25</TD><TD noWrap sizset="100" sizcache="0">TOM MANN</TD><TD>BUFORD, GA</TD><TD noWrap>29.9</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>5,000</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
237 Posts
i will tell you straight up your a pro to catch something off a pier cause i have never done it and never will have the patience to do it

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just put the time into it on the pier, as for pro fishin i have no idea im only 15 but it sounds nice to me

1 - 20 of 28 Posts