Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my original post about the possibility of bear hunting in Florida. Please don't derail with unsubstantiated opinions.

Black Bears in the Northwest Florida region should not be protected. There should be a small season on the bears here in N/W Florida due to the fact that there are many more of them than the FWCC wants to admit. When deer hunters have to put their feeders 14-15 feet above the ground on tri-pods to keep them from destroying the feeders then there is a problem. If I can hunt in Eglin or Appilachiclola or Blackwater and still have to worry about the bears then there is a sustainable population. Let's get rid of the PETA lovers on the FWCC board and start regulating the game in this state by the numbers. Unfortunatley we are all held hostage by the folks that think the bear is a cuddly animal and shouldn't be hunted. Well when the bear population makes it to a level that they are no longer a bit of a pain along the borders of the forest or AFB and they start creating a problem for the regular folks, then God forbid the end result. The end result is a wrecked car or livestock that is compromised. The FWCC does not answer to anyone in this state, they are their own entity. We should have a short season on the black bear to keep them in check. Let me know your feelings.

Since my original post a couple of weeks ago I hada guy I work with(Mulat Mayor)with a group of orientee's on aroad orientation when they came down 87 South, theyhad a bear about 300-350 lbs run out in the road in front of them. This is 4 people that all can confirm the sighting in the middle of the day. Folks we have a sustainable population when they are running in front of cars in the middle of the day.

There is a former sheriff from Leon County (Raymond Hamlin Jr.) that can shed some light on the process and how we came to not hunting bears in Florida. It would astonish some how things are decided. Ask me via PM and I will let you borrow a book I have. My only point in this thread is we need to re-visit bear hunting in Florida. Ask the people in Holley if there is a problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have seen 2 black bears on BELL LANE in Pea Ridge. For the ones who do not know Bell Lane is the first red light east of Walmart and goes south from Hwy 90. I know that it was 2 different bears because there was a considerable difference in size. Both sightings was between 6 - 7 am. Both were also seen in the last 2 years.

Pastor Billy

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Angler's Outlet (5/24/2008)I have seen 2 black bears on BELL LANE in Pea Ridge. For the ones who do not know Bell Lane is the first red light east of Walmart and goes south from Hwy 90. I know that it was 2 different bears because there was a considerable difference in size. Both sightings was between 6 - 7 am. Both were also seen in the last 2 years.

Pastor Billy
When you have bears coming that close to Hwy 90, you may have a problem.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
In todays NEWS...:banghead<P _extended="true"><STRONG _extended="true">ORLANDO, Fla.? Police and wildlife officials in Orlando are investigating several reports of a black bear taking a dip in the pool at the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Studios.[/b]<P _extended="true">( Wonder if it was Yogi or BoBo trying out for a part in some movie)<P _extended="true">A security guard at the hotel called police early Wednesday morning when he spotted the bear on a security screen, the Orlando Sentinel reported. The bear got out of the pool and is now roaming the property.<P _extended="true">Authorities have assembled at the popular tourist destination to check out the reports.<P _extended="true">The hotel has not been evacuated, and no one has been injured.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Angler's Outlet (5/24/2008)I have seen 2 black bears on BELL LANE in Pea Ridge. For the ones who do not know Bell Lane is the first red light east of Walmart and goes south from Hwy 90. I know that it was 2 different bears because there was a considerable difference in size. Both sightings was between 6 - 7 am. Both were also seen in the last 2 years.

Pastor Billy

Probably the same ones that have been seen on video on Air Products property.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Santa Rosa only is a stretch since the Blackwater State Forest borders both Santa Rosa and Okaloosa and the Eglin AFB range encompasses parts of Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton Counties. I think you have to address the problem by region. I'm not sure of the permit numbers and think some data should be collected to allow a hunt in certain areas from Escambia to maybe Walton County, not sure if they are having a problem further east. But the old "let's trap and release them on Eglin" is no longer working. They will find their way back to their original area with time. I'm not advocating a slaughter but a controlled hunt with data to support the hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts