Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

· Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your fishing vacation woes muleypsycho. Thank you for the reports for the beach June Grass though. If I were you, I'd either rent a yak to get out past the weed lines, or head into the sounds or bays to fish. Right now, no matter where you're fishing, being stuck on land, is going to inhibit your fishing. Rent a yak, or boat, heck even a SUP and fish the cleaner water beyond the grasses...the grasses are everywhere, but the most difficult stuff is the Slimy June Grass in the Gulf. It's not going to be gone while you're here.

Does any one else have weed/June Grass reports for the forum? Your information would benefit the community as a whole...there's surf fishermen beating their heads against walls right now.

Tight lines!!! YRM

· Banned
72 Posts
Yes unfortunately the June beach grass has become the `SummerTime Possibly Fall Beach Grass ' .......this forum seems to be only place for info.....

I guess the local chamber of commerce isn`t going to say much,.....have heard several tourists say " we never knew about the grass here ".....

I didn't know either until this summer,....been here during winter several times and beach was pristine......caught a lot of fish @ Henderson and caught more than people will believe @ St.George Island.......

Anyone know the history of grass problems here .....?.....:(

I love to fish in the surf,........................lost on the soundside......

· Registered
1,535 Posts
I have been fishing the surf here for years and have NEVER seen the June grass this bad, this late in the season. Perhaps all of the fresh water from rain has something to do with it staying around so long? It is a form of algae which I believe would thrive more in water that has higher than normal levels of fresh water.

Not certain but that is the only thing I can think of that is different this year.

· The Tourist
2,271 Posts
did the storms and surge push it out this weekend? i haven't been by the beach to check, ill be there tomorrow to try to spear some rays but curious what to expect.

strong west wind and the gnarly surf this weekend tell me its been pushed out.

· Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hey there PFF Anglers! I had a rod out yesterday afternoon off of Navarre Beach East of the pier, and I caught minimal grasses and algae there. I caught nothing worthwhile, only several hardheads and a baby flounder. I had no fleas though, and had to use some not so fresh dead shrimp from my yakking trip. I am sure that if had fished at a different time of day like early am or around dusk, I would've had better luck. It looks like certain sections on the beaches might be losing the grasses. Next weekend, I'm definitely going to be among the surf fishermen out there trying for that elusive little pompano. It's looking like there might be SOME positive changes in our near future. If you have any weekend reports please share. Thanks! Tight lines!! YRM

· Registered
3 Posts
I went out today ..8/29... and some slime and grass was in the water at Topsail beach. But it was fish-able. I caught 2 ladyfish and 2 small jacks. Had one big hit not sure what it was. I also had a seagull drop down and snag my zara spook. By the way he was a great fight. He was released unharmed.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.