1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Blood-soaked sand.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is really awesome and amazing. It's always been a life dream of mine to tour all the islands of the Pacific theater. So much history, and so beautiful. It's hard to imagine all the destruction that took place on these beautiful islands and atolls. I'd love to see more pictures if you have them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wow, brings back memories. Was in several AF C130 squadrons in the 70s. We flew to Iwo weekly from Yokota (Tokyo) to resupply the Coast Guard there. They had a Loran C tower there. There was a road up to the top of Mt Suribichi and they would take you up there in the back of an old Datsun (Mitsubishi) pickup. Talk about irony. (They didnt want to use a Japanese name because there were still hard feelings from WWII vets.) You couldn't help but feeling a little overwhelmed at the history in the place. Nice view from Suribachi, the Coast Guard station used to be near Red Beach I believe. You wouldn't want to snorkle there, no reef, rough surf. Really stinks there, smell of sulfur everywhere.

Never fished there, but fished at several other islands. New to saltwater then, threw a squid out and something had it within 30 seconds. Was spooled in less than that, ha. Still remember looking down at the empty spool and saying WTF.

Thanks for the pics. Here are some more if anyone can identify them

Attachments

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,282 Posts
First is Bonzai Cliffs? Saipan?

Second maybe Anderson AFB on Guam?

Last is Tinian(?) where they loaded the Atom bombs that struck Japan. The bombs were shipped to Guam, then barged to Tinian. They were actually too big to fit under the airplanes with the bomb bay doors open, so a pit was dug, the bombs put in the pit, then the airplanes were towed over the pit and the bomb was loaded.

Shipped to Guam first because Tinian (airport, I think neither Guam nor Saipan had a long enough runway) did not have a deep enough harbor, so they were delivered to Tinian in barges with less draft.

After that, no idea...

PS. We took Guam in a bloody attack, there an island between Guam and Saipan/Tinian, named Rota, that we just did not care about so the US Navy just ignored it till the Japanese surrendered due to lack of supplies. We skipped it and took Saipan next. (Tinian is just a mile from Saipan)

Been to Guam Saipan and Tinian. All are full of WWII history.

Jim

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bear with me, I can only load one at a time from my phone. These are from Iwo. It was a 2.5 hour ride out of okinawa and about 3:25 back... They have a few dozen japanese military guys stationed there and a few helos that look like SAR birds. Beach was covered in trash that washes up from the storms. Mostly fishing buoys.

Golf course.

Attachments

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,282 Posts
I've heard the tunnels in the cliffs on Iwo Jima are still full of munitions from WWII.

A very cool tour.

Jim

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The beach. As far as I know it's clear of UXO but there is a ton of it left on the island above and below ground as well as thousands of uncovered bodies. Have to be careful where you step or what your aiming at if you have to pee along the way. Hate to have my urinator cursed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts