Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long story but I want to relate an experience I had last night and show what was done wrong and how to correct those mistakes.

While fishing 3 MB last night I got dumped out of my kayak at the end of the night, after midnight. I was sitting there and next thing I know I was in the water, don't know what happened, doesn't really matter. As soon as I was in the water and untangled myself from some gear I started swimming after the gear, I tried swimming after the ice chest but the current caught it and I wasn't gaining on it. By the time I got back to the kayak I was too exhausted to get back in my Sit-On-Top, all I was able to do was keep flipping it over.

I was near the small hump on the Gulf Breeze side, east of the bridge. I decided I wasn't going to get back in the kayak and best swim for the Gulf Breeze shore. After what seemed like an hour B.Fine and a friend came up on me in their Yaks and helped me get in mine. I had swum maybe a third of the way.

I was staying on the east side (down current) side of the kayak to keep the waves from continually crashing into my face and never saw them until they came up and asked if I was alright.

Probably the only things I did right was to stay with the kayak and I always wear my PFD, and tried to stay close to the bridge.

Things I did wrong:
Went after gear instead of getting in kayak and then going after gear
Didn't have a $150 rod and reel on leash (lost it and ice chest)
My headlight kept getting knocked off by the waves so I put it in the yak
Once I got exhausted I did not know how to self rescue.
I had a cell phone in a dry bag in yak, was waiting until I had to use it.
I prefer to kayak alone..........not really a good idea

This morning I got up watched some videos on other methods of self rescue
This one really pertained to me and I'll post the link:

If your old, out of shape and your belly gets in the way like me :( then this method will help
I have already ordered a paddle float and will pick up a strap so I can use my legs to get in the yak. I will find a way to rig a stern light (and make sure it doesn't come loose when flipping)

Like I said a long story but all turned out well because I was lucky, without B.Fine and his friend coming up on me (they said they almost didn't see me) I was going to be in the water for a very long time.

Thank you very much B. Fine and friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Great first post, really solid information shared. Glad you are ok and that things turned out well. Salute to the guys who lent a hand... :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's kinda a shock to be fine in your yak one second and in the drink with lines and hooks trying to tangle you up the next ain't it. And even a worse shock when it happens a second time in less than an hour later. And my time was in day light .The one thing I did right before dumping in mine was to tie everything on leashes. The next thing I did right was get rid of the yak and buy a small jon boat.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Wow scary experience. I've gone over a couple times in shallow water and almost went over at 3mb. Ive lost plenty of gear and learned sone good lessons. I'm glad you're okay. Gear can always be replaced, save yourself first.

·
Registered
761 Posts
First of all I am very glad you are OK!!!! Sorry about the equipment, maybe someone will snag itand return it. I want to thank you for posting this, I tend to do 3 mb alone often and that video was very good and will remember it. Where did you find the paddle bag? I really want to get one.

I am buds with Barrett and he filled me in on what happened and all I could think of was thank God they found ya. Barrett is good people even though he is Air Force lol Once again glad you are Ok and I am sure your experience will help others.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.............. Where did you find the paddle bag? I really want to get one.
Austin Kayak,
http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_products.php?SubcatID=215008
I decided to get the non-inflatable one after reading all the reviews, takes up more room but I don't have to worry about leaks or the time it takes to inflate it.

I also got a much better rod leash. I had just quit using a makeshift rod leash about a week or two ago as it kept getting tangled and in the way. :( Naturally the cheaper rod stayed with the kayak but the better one was gone instantly!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Glad this story ended well and welcome to the forum. The most important thing you right was wear your PFD. Putting your PFD on - if you could get to it - while in the water would have been a challenge. Staying with the yak was the next best thing. Having a handheld VHF would have brought help quicker perhaps. Maybe a light with you in the PFD... Good job to Barrett and friend. Great post and thanks for sharing - it is a great lesson to be learned.

·
Lifetime Member NRA
558 Posts
Light

Glad you are ok . ive been out on the water several nights this week and have come across kayaks and paddleboarders with no light . This scares the sh*t out of me . i was within 30 ft of a kayak before i saw his paddle movement and veered to port to miss him . no light, no reflective tape . please make your presence known when on the water ,things happen quick out there. even quicker at night. be safe and tight lines.:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts