Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out this Morning at 5:30 and met Bruce at Dizzy Lizzy's at 6am..

Loaded up and headed out across the bay in his Cat...(Man that thing handles chop like a dream) got a bit wet but we cruised on to the rocks near the pickens pier to check the sheephead action....W00t is all I can say ive never caught a sheep and bruce was kind enough to give me a block of instruction (sheephead hits the inside of the boat) ....did you see how i did that? (2nd sheep hits the deck) thats how you do it.

Well after the first seriously large sheep hooked up on me and fought about 2 min taking line and pulling drag (POP) crap!!! reel in and my hook is straight........%^%&^% OK back up and tie on a 1/0 circle as opposed to a J hook. ...Back in the water 2 min later im hooked up and putting them in the boat..we landed 7 of them and lost probably close to that amount..(Due to my lack of training on circle hooks and Bruce fighting the rocks)

...Managed to snag 3 pins of the rocks so we saved them to drop in the grouper hole..so at the hole we fish around in the livewell and all 3 pins are floaters..not good

Tryed one anyway just for GP...nope no luck so we load up and head for 3 Mile

First bait down and Im hooked up (cut bait mind you) and I pull up a undersize black snapper

now here is where things get funny Im bent over trying to de-hook this snapper and when i get him undone I messure just to verify then toss him overboard as Bruce yells "NOT TO HIM" huh?....I tossed the fish straight into a waiting pelican's mouth not 3 ft from the boat..

CRAP! I didnt even see the bastard until bruce said something..oh well

He hung out and harrassed us for about 10 min chasing or baits as we casted....once he actually caught one and I swore bruce was gonna hook him but he let go after a brief scuffle.

Highlight of the day was a mondo spanish that I managed to hook and get to the boat he was about 26" and very hefty. and of course the (one that got away) Hit our bottom rig on a 330 GTI bowed the pole over and smoked line for about 2 min then "pop" gone

we assume it was a bull Red

all in all damn fine day in the Bay 8 fish total and met a Great guy to fish with.

Thanks Again Bruce

Mike

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
so 1/0 circle as opposed to a J hook uh?!!! wow!!....u know I did the opposite and caught several too....I bet you had agrouper ....(the one that got away)....thanks forthereport ...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Great report Mike. Next time we need to take so pics. i had one (camera) just got caught up in the darn fish that kept breaking us off. oh well try it again next week!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts