Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question for fellow yakkers who have targeted the big fall kings in the bay. I have targeted them from a boat before. It that case i netted mehadden and fished live bait for the kings. I don't think I will be able to throw a 12' half inch mesh net from my yak... so do you have another way to get menhadden? Are you using other live baits, dead baits, trolling big plugs? I know guys on the bridge pier would use white trout for king too.

I've caught plenty of kings on cigs and hard tails in the gulf, but don't know what to use for bay kings.

thanks,
Fisherdad1

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Menhaden! Menhaden! Menhaden!!! They're hard to keep alive in a kayak but I've had good luck just going up to boats and offering to buy from them for $5 each! Most of the boaters just gave me menhaden for free saying "Yeah right, I'd like to see you catch a king out of that plastic boat!" And then watch their jaws drop when you get a hit and go for a ride! They kept giving me menhaden just to watch the show!!!

While menhaden are first choice, anything you can catch in the area can get you a bite. Croakers, white trout, pinfish, pigfish, etc... You may just have to put a balloon 4-6ft above to keep them from swimming to the bottom though.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well I was wondering about a ribbon rig, but its a bit confusing if those are actually legal or illegal still. I sent the question to FWC so I will post back what I find out. I myself have never used one, but I see guys at the pier with them and they kill the bait.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts