Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my boat Sunday for the first time since November. The guys at the marina had left my battery switch on all this time, and the engine barely turned over but it did start. This battery is two years old, and a deep cycle. Is it going to be all right or should I change it out? Do not like getting a tow. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
do they hold a charge?? you could get new ones and keep those as backups if anything ever happens to your new ones if the old ones are still good...i changed my batteries out once in 8yrs on the old boat

·
Valued Member
356 Posts
Nitzey (2/9/2010)I ran my boat Sunday for the first time since November. The guys at the marina had left my battery switch on all this time, and the engine barely turned over but it did start. This battery is two years old, and a deep cycle. Is it going to be all right or should I change it out? Do not like getting a tow. Thanks.

I always write the date of the warranty expires on the battery and bring it back to advanced auto before it expires regardless. I usually drain them down pretty bad anyways. They have never given me a problem returning a battery. I do recommend making a copy of your receipt because their receipts fade out regardless of whether exposed to light or not! Fading ink a genius idea for receipts. Sorry sir we cant find your purchase in our computer either...are you sure you bought it at this location?

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Recharge and test or have it recharged and tested at like Advanced auto if your a patient man. Capt.Ron is a very smart man with printing the receipt. Me,I just annoy them till they give me a new battery so I go away.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
2 years is the Average life of a battery. Once a battery starts acting up for any reason after 2 years , toss it. Some say, oh I've gotten 5 years out of a battery. Thats not the norm & they have kept that battery fully charged the whole time. Sealed batterys last longer than Vented batterys on average. Once you start seeing corrosion on a battery, Its a sighn its venting & dying unless its being overcharged. Batterys have lead plates in them that over a period of time the plates start to wear out wich causes venting of acid gases more than normal. Each cell contains 2 volts. Most boat / car batteries have 6 cells which equals 12 volts. Lawnmower batteries have 3 cells which equals 6 volts & so on. After over 26 years of battery work , this is my evaluation of their lifespan.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Bottom line for me is if I have a doubt about the battery I?ll replace it. Not worth worrying about it while I?m on the water. Last thing I want to be is stranded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts