Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have four batteries in my boat.They are ran what I think is called parrallel,meaning there is a jumper running from the pos side of battery A to the pos side of battery B and a jumper running from neg side of battery A to the neg side of battery B.The other two batteries are the same way so my question is can I charge all four with a two bank charger or do I need a four bank charger and how should I connect the charger if a two bank will charge them all.Thanks Jonathan

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
As I understand it Parallel gives you more cranking amps, etc, but the voltage stays the same. I believe you can charge them with a two bank charger since the positives and negatives are hooked together on each bank, just hook the two different charger, one to each bank. I'm not an expert by any means so hope someone else sounds off on this. What I have described above is the way I am doing it. A year now and no known problems.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
fighterpilot is correct, the way your batteries are wired keeps it at 12 volts, but doubles the amps. So you will be fine using a two bank charger to charge them up.

·
Really Senior Member
485 Posts
Two bank charger will work but running batteries in parallel is not recommended. If one starts going bad it will drag it's mate down to it's level. When charging, the bad battery will suck up all the charge preventing the good battery from being fully charged.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Snapperfan is true, but even if they are all in line, a bad battery would drain down the entire line. Best thing to do, is when you change one battery in the bank, change both of them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts