Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m done with gas weedeaters. Been looking at the battery operated weedeater is. There sure is a big selection. Anybody have any experience or advice. Ultimately I will also get the battery powered blower.

Thanks
BT

·
Premium Member
9,612 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I have the 60volt and very satisfied. Don’t go cheap on the line. I use the twisted line. I can do front and back on one charge. I also have kobalt 40 volt which works well but battery life not do good.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I bought the Ryobi 40 volt with the interchangeable head. I can whack my acre lot including the 100ft on the lake of very tall grass on one 4amp hour battery. Ryobi makes plenty of attachments for the 40 volt battery. Even a chain saw.

·
Praedator
9,978 Posts
naclh2odave just went all electric with 80 volt systems for lawn mower and all! I called him a woman but he said it's the $*&t and beats gas hands down! :)

He has a small yard now though. But I guess times are changing with battery technology getting better and better!

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I just went all Milwaukee. Got the interchangeable shaft. So far I've done my ward twice on a single charge. Battery life looks like I can get 1 more before charging. Come by this week in the evening and I will let you weedeat my yard to try it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've had the first gen Milwaukee m18 fuel trimmer and leaf blower for a few years without issue. I have a nice echo pas system with string trimmer and edger that I only use for edger now. No vibrations, quiet and I've beat the snot out of it, like everything else Milwaukee I have.

If it was the split shaft interchangeable head gen 2, I would have gotten rid of the echo already. Just have a hard time buying the gen 2 when I have a gen 1 and the echo pas.

Milwaukee bump head sucks to load sometimes compared to the quick feed echo bump head, but otherwise its solid. It's not bad compared to a lot, but the echo heads will spoil you. They may have changed this in gen 2, but I haven't looked.

I typically run it on a m18 high demand 9.0 and never run out of juice, but have trimmed on a m18 xc 5.0 for 25-30min straight without issues also. I've trimmed fairly thick briar patches and vines and never had an issue with power. Instant torque and quick to full rpm is nice vs 2 stroke takes a couple seconds to get to full rpm. Electric will never rev as high as a good tuned professional grade 2 stroke, but honestly it doesn't need to since it doesnt bog as easily. I wouldn't use it for heavy brush cutting or field trimming, but that is more of the job for a bike handle trimmer anyways.

Granted I have like 50 other Milwaukee m18 tools and probably 30 batteries, so that is a deciding factor for me. I never really have an issue with needing to charge a battery, so just grab it and go. Not sure I would have strayed from the echo as easily if I wasnt as deeply invested in Milwaukee power tools. If you are due for a power tool upgrade, it would be a good choice.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the replies. They sure have enlighten me on this type of product. I’m looking forward to owning these things and not dislocating my shoulder starting the gas powered tools by pulling that string 100 times

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies. They sure have enlighten me on this type of product. I’m looking forward to owning these things and not dislocating my shoulder starting the gas powered tools by pulling that string 100 times
For what it's worth, my echo is a 1 or 2 pull to start everytime for last few years. Granted I tuned it with a tach after a few tanks of break in.

But the electric is a lot easier to just drop in a battery and get to it. Quieter and lighter.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dewalt 4AH 40V blower, weed trimmer, hedge trimmer and chainsaw. 4 years, love them. I have 3 chargers with 3 charged batteries, and 3 spares.
Look for the higher voltage. Try to get a deal with spare batteries, they are the most expensive parts.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,848 Posts
naclh2odave just went all electric with 80 volt systems for lawn mower and all! I called him a woman but he said it's the $*&t and beats gas hands down! :)

He has a small yard now though. But I guess times are changing with battery technology getting better and better!
Yup! I have the 80v Kobalt mower and weed eater and pole saw. The batteries are more than enough for my place and I even bring the pole saw up to the club. Kobalt gets 2 thumbs up from me. I doubt I'll ever go back to gas for residential use. I love not having to worry about mixing fuel or if this is the day I'll pull my shoulder/ back out. Plus it's not like you have to worry about an extension cord either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Jump over to the Kobalt 80v edger/weed eater and blower a year ago. Quiet and does the job for me. Wish I would have looked harder at the lawn mower too but couldn't convince me at the time and went back with gas Huskavarna.

More than welcome to come take mine for a test ride, I'll leave the weeds up for ya! Haha!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts