Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bathtub ring again

by Fl Panhandler » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:14 pm
After a couple of years of fishing out of my redfish 12, I have some stubborn places where the dirty ring just does not want to come off. I tried the magic eraser, tooth paste with a plastic bristle brush, and a couple of others with no luck. I would welcome any ideas y'all would like to throw out there. I used the 303 protectant a couple of times a year hoping it would keep it down and it has helped. Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Rick

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try oxalic acid

This is the basic hull cleaner found at Walmart, Worst Marine... I have compounded my hull, used all sorts of cleaner, then wiped this stuff on and it was like magic! It eliminated the scum line that impregnates the gelcoat. Careful around metal, it will eat the galvanizing off a trailer:( I hope that it works as well on rotomolded plastic yaks:thumbup:

I have also used muratic acid, but I like the oxalic acid stuff much better. Gloves are also pretty handy along with safety glasses. Good luck!

Boatnbob

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would try a toilet bowl cleaner like sno-bowl. There are also a few generic brands, but it has to have a little acidic content.

Blaine

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A little bit of Barkeepers Friend, a magic eraser and some elbow grease and the stubborn parts of the ring are gone. Thanks for the help.
Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts