Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Bananas affecting the fishing is BS. Taking bananas on a fishing trip will cause bad Karma and brand you as a tourist or landlubber. Personally I have fun w/ it. Often, if the trip starts out slow I challenge any newbies as to whether they bring bananas and amazingly, I often have bananas aboard. Fortunately, after an appropriate sacrifice fishing improves.

I have read a good bitabout the superstition. The most entertaining is that an Executive w/ Fruit of the Loom fished w/ Miami guide and ardent Bananaphobe Bouncer Smith. After the trip Fruit of the Loom dropped the banana from their label!

At one point in time, the British Navy ruled the seas. The British Navy is who determined that fruit was needed to stave off scurvy, plus they learned that bananas decay faster than other fruits and release enzymes that make other fruits decay faster. I think that since the British once had ports throughout the world, that many seafaring cultures knew "no bananas" for theBritish Navy. It is human nature to seek meaning, mystic power or some deity, therefore, the no bananas policy of thenavy must have gained some mystic sense, laying the foundation for the bananasuperstition. The surprising point is how the fishing community came to embrace it, as I don't think other boating groups care. It is probably because fisherman are somewhat superstitious. If you really want to dig into it, look up the topic in the West Hawaii News Paper (Kona) it seems to have the most info.

One more tidbit about the British...13 being unlucky, well yes 13 were at the Last Supper so maybe that is the basis for unlucky 13. Also, note that a British Ship set sail on its maiden voyage with a Captain Friday on Friday 13th to have never been seen again, so I would say the British were a superstitious lot, and highly influential. As for me, I need to look good when I ain't and I need all the luckI can get, so NOBANANAS.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have fun with the banana story too - and even though I do not believe it - why take a chance?

There are lots of stories floating around about how bananas got to be associated with bad luck - the most credible one (one that actually had dates and names ) came froman old Sport Fishing Magizine article ? as I remember it :

Per Jim Rizzuto ? author of fishing Hawaii style, volumes 1,2,&3, and many other Hawaii fishing book and magazine articles , hisresearch turned upsorts ofexplanations about spiders, rotting fruit, even phallic symbols offending gods.

However-nothing showed up in any literature untilthe 1950's, and then in a few article written about Hawaiian charter boats are out that time.

Per Jim, bananas = bad luck was first written about in an article on bill fishing off Hawaii in the 50?s, so it did seem to originate in Hawaii, with the growth of the local post WWII charter boat blue water trolling boom. After interviewing several older captains, the story he got was as follows:
There was a successful captain in Hawaii in the 50?s that hated bananas ? could not stand the sight or smell. When he would ask aclientto not bring bananas onboard, they sometimes would reply that since they were paying for the trip, they could bring what ever they wanted. So he came up with the idea of telling tourist that it was bad luck to bring bananas on a boat in Hawaii. When this boat brought in the big ones, the customersspread the word that leaving those bad luck bananas at the dock really works. This spread to other boats, and Hawaiian fishermen and tourist carried the superstition to the mainland and abroad.

May or may not be true ? (those old captains may have spun this up also) but is consistent with the time it originated, and human nature.

No bananas on my boat !

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.