Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard differnt versions of stories that all link to bananas being bad luck on boats....

Lets get down to it.

WHY ARE BANANAS THE BOATERS MOST HATED FRUIT?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
It was told back in the old days that bannas rotted quicker than the other food and attrated fruit flies and they caused all other food to spoil. Aleast that how it was told to me. What do I know though.:letsdrink

·
Super Moderator
12,830 Posts
all i know is, one day during cobia season, i thought it would be funny to hook a banana onto a buddy's cobia jig... when he saw it, he cut off the jig(letting it fall in the water) took all the line off his reel, and drove all the way back to navarre to get another rod/reel... i don't think he fished that combo for the rest of ling season:doh:letsdrink

·
Registered
782 Posts
FenderBender (11/12/2007)I heard it has something to do with poisonous banana spiders killing people on banana boats coming to port... could be
not to hi jack but, are banana spiders poisonous? i am loaded withum' i googled and not found the word nonvenomous yet.

·
eating tasty
3,803 Posts
whipper snapper (11/12/2007)
FenderBender (11/12/2007)I heard it has something to do with poisonous banana spiders killing people on banana boats coming to port... could be
not to hi jack but, are banana spiders poisonous? i am loaded withum' i googled and not found the word nonvenomous yet.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl9_lblFullMessage>Looks like the South American variety KILLS... and thats where the naners' are coming from...

from: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-banana-spider.htm

The banana spider is a common name used for two entirely different species of spiders, the argiope of North America, and the phoneutria of Central and South America, the latter of which can be deadly.

The phoneutria or South American banana spider is a large, aggressive spider with a body length of about 1.3 inches (3 cm). This banana spider primarily makes its home in the rain forests but can also be found in cities, where, between 1970 and 1980 it was reportedly responsible for the hospitalization of some 7,000 people in southeastern Brazil.

The South American banana spider's venom is neurotoxic, or acts on the nervous system, and is similar to the venom produced by redback spiders, also known as black widows. A phoneutria banana spider's bite will cause immediate pain, a cold sweat and irregular heartbeat. Antivenin does exist and the bite can be deadly so immediate medical attention is necessary.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
782 Posts
the beulah variety of banana spider can bite but, not likely. they have nough venom to give you a welp for up to 24 hrs in most cases.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Why take a chance! No bananas,banana boat sun screen,banana anything. Damn I feel dirty just typing the word. Just don't,period!!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Its the banana peel. The crew would slip on the peel and hit there heads! LOL!

The Captain got so mad his whole crew was in sick bay. He started baning bananas on his boats. It caught on so there you have it. Boy that sounded good though.:letsdrink

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
VS200B (11/12/2007)all i know is, one day during cobia season, i thought it would be funny to hook a banana onto a buddy's cobia jig... when he saw it, he cut off the jig(letting it fall in the water) took all the line off his reel, and drove all the way back to navarre to get another rod/reel... i don't think he fished that combo for the rest of ling season:doh:letsdrink
Me and Steve were talking about that today when Jeremy smeared a nasty banana on crabs staal

·
Registered
372 Posts
Funny this subject comes up..... last week just for lack of anything tobring for asnack onboard I purposely brought a bananna fishing on my boat for the first time. Well after finding my first super school of bulls on the beach of 2007 and catch/release of 12 fish. I pulled out the bananna and fishing partner looks at me with this look. I said, " still believe"?

Myth or not, it just food for thought. Pun intended:poke

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
wishiniwasfishin07 (11/12/2007)timeout. Are bananas fruits?
Are bananas fruit?The big question to ask is, DOES IT HAVE SEEDS?

If the answer is yes, then technically, you have a FRUIT. This, of course, makes yourbanana a fruit. It also makes cucumbers, squash, green beans and walnuts all fruits as well. VEGETABLES such as, radishes, celery, carrots, and lettuce do NOT have seeds (that are part of what we eat) and so they are grouped as vegetables.Bananas are also berries. Whereas the Strawberry, Blackberry, Raspberry, and Boysenberry are not berries.:banghead:banghead:banghead

To the "QUESTION" at hand...all BS

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bananas are considered bad luck on a fishing boat by many captains. There is a basis for this belief. It may be a myth, but it can influence your catch.

The bad luck theory of bananas is derived from the misfortune of stevedores unloading banana boats from Central America. The cargo most often contained biting spiders that not only were painful, but occasionally deadly. Stevedores considered it bad luck to be assigned to unloading a banana boat. This is the truth behind the myth.

The effect that this superstition has on anglers is real. As you know from reading the first installment in this fishing clinic, Karma is very important. The mere thought of bad luck can cause an imbalance in the captain and/or crew's Ying and Yang. The imbalance results in a poor catch. Bananas are bad luck only for those who believe they are bad luck. However, one superstitious crewmember can affect an entire boat's Karma.

Many boats product fine catches with bananas onboard. Typically these boats are yellow and have names like Chiquita. By over playing the banana myth, Karma on these boats is maintained even with superstitious crewmembers onboard.

The belief that the smell or oil in bananas causes the bad luck is totally false. This theory has been proven incorrect. Captains have used banana skins for lures and caught fish on them.

The impact that the banana myth has had on fishermen highlights the important lesson in The Zen Of Fishing. Maintaining proper balance while fishing requires an uncluttered mind. Superstition clutters the mind, creating imbalance. Clear your mental slate before fishing.

Counter to the bad luck superstition, good luck thoughts can also create imbalance. A favorite lure can often become a good luck charm. Losing that lure creates bad luck. An angler knowing the Zen of fishing will avoid good or bad luck superstitions.

Too many thoughts make being one with the fish more difficult. Remember the primitive brain is the key to harmony. Simplify your thoughts to simplify oneness.

Isn't Google great this comes from AssociatedContent website.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
all i know is that them nanners make me feel like i gotta go 10-200(take a crap) and i don't like that feeling when i'm on the water.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts