Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I am looking for recommendations on my first baitcasting reel. I plan to use it in salt/brackish/fresh waters and targeting trout/red's (not bulls)/striper/hybrid using plastics and jig heads. I have the opportunity to buy a used Pflueger president XT but noticed it's not sealed. Any idea how big of an issue that would be if using it in salty water?

I've never owned a baitcasting reel before so I don't really know whats good and what's not. Wanting to stay in the $80 range.

Or if you have a recommendation on a good combo I'd be open to that as well. I'd be willing to spend about $160 on a combo.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
No low-profile (or baitcaster of any kind, for that matter) is sealed. To my knowledge, there are none available that are genuinely waterproof. This isn't an issue though, I throw almost exclusively baitcasters for probably 70% of the inshore fishing that I do. Shimanos are great & Abu Garcias are great (Pfluegers are rebadged Abus, so they are great as well). I'm sure most of the other brands are great as well, but Shimanos & Abus are about all I throw. For $80, I would look for a used Shimano Citica, an Abu Orra Inshore, or a used Abu Garcia Revo S. Hope that helps man!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have used Ambassadors for 50+ years, and have tried a few others. a couple of years ago someone stole all of my tackle from my boat, so I had the "opportunity" to buy new stuff. I bought 4 new Shimano Citicas fof about $120 each off ebay. I then learned about Academy'd Mettle reel that sales for about $60 each. I have bought 3 mettles, and I believe they are at least as good as the Citica reels. They have a lifetime warranty according to my sales person, but I haven't needed to check it. I have fished for and caught 100s of white bass, , largemouth bass, and several stripers including 2 upper 30# range. The Mettle reels are my favorite of my new reels, and they have performed beautifully. I bought Berkley Cherry wood rods for about $30 each I have several 7'6" in Medium , and Medium Heavy flex. I am sure they are not pro quality, but they have been good for me. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advise. Thank you all. I was mainly concerned about it not being sealed but since none are sealed I pulled the trigger. It’s my first baitcaster so I’ve got a lot of learning this week so I can use it Saturday. I paid $90 for the Iike-new reel paired with a new 7 ft penn battalion rod. I know the rod is good so hopefully the reel works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts