Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get into kayak fishing in the near future sooner if I find a yak on sale during the winter, but I'm building my gear at the moment and just wondering what would be a good baitcaster reel to go with or would it be ok just to stick with all spinners? Thanks for the help.

· Saltybeachdog
65 Posts
I'm hoping to get into kayak fishing in the near future sooner if I find a yak on sale during the winter, but I'm building my gear at the moment and just wondering what would be a good baitcaster reel to go with or would it be ok just to stick with all spinners? Thanks for the help.
Good question I was wondering the same thing. There are enough guys on here I am sure you will get some good information. Looking forward to what they all have to say.

· Registered
528 Posts
Along with 2 spinning rods, I carry a BPS bait caster (can't remember which model, but it is one of the better ones, on sale) on a 7" Inshore Select Ugly Stick for heavier plugs and topwater. I am not great with it but can control the distance and speed a little better than with a spinning rod.

P_

· Topwater Addict
487 Posts
If you go bait caster be willing to spend a little bit for a good drag and braking system. If you go too cheap you'll hate it because you'll spend your time fighting birds nests until you get some experience.

I personally like the low profile reels much more, identical to what bass fisherman use. I use a Abu Garcia Revo SX on a 7' Carbonlite with Microguides. Love it. Curado is a great reel as well and as mentioned stiffer rod for jigging softer for topwater. You can do it all on any rod just makes it easier. And make sure you clean it well and regularly service it.

· Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Got the new Revo SX this weekend and while pricey it's amazing. A good few steps above anything I've ever used. Complete control of drag, autobrake and spool braking. All this with increased line capacity and lighter weight. The previous Revo was a good reel this one is a great reel.

· Registered
511 Posts
I love my Shimano Curado 201 (left handed) I have it paired with a Tevalia S 6-6 and it kills the big reds and is great for light snapper. 14Lbs of Drag is more than enought in the kayak. Light Light Light! That is the key, and a short but on the rod, don't forget that.

· Squid technician
10,557 Posts
I use shimano curados and Daiwa coastals. Bait casters are more comfortable to work artificial baits with IMO. It really doesn't matter if you're in a kayak, a boat, inner tube, whatever; bait casters take a little time to get used to, but once you do, you'll love them. On windy days however, the spinner will win

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.