Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I used “scaled sardine” (see picture attached - aka thread fins) today and had minimal luck. Nothing seemed interested in the scaled sardines. But, when I dropped a Spanish sardine, I was bit immediately. Unfortunately, I had a bait well full of scaled sardines and only 6-8 Spanish sardines....needless to say, we got skunked!

Was it the bait?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
What you have pictured is a scaled sardine, commonly referred to as an LY. it is similar to a Threadfin herring.

Snappers and the like definitely seem to dislike the LY less than Spanish sardines and threadfin herring, though they will eat them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Top to bottom

Threadfin
LY
Spanish sardine (often referred to as a herring)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
John nailed it. All 3 are kickass baits.
:thumbsup: Man, if they refused the scaled sardines, something was crazy! They are my absolute favorite live bait of all time. They all are candy to any and everything that eats livies, but the scaled sardine is the hardiest of the three by a good margin.

A lot of folks call Gulf Menhaden LYs too. The name LY is short for alewife, a herring that looks similar to both. Alewives live mainly on the NE Atlantic coast and were and are shipped here for crab bait in boxes labeled LYs. You'll see many bait boxes of menhaden (pogies) in bait shops labeled LYs.

Reactions: Boat-Dude

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you got bit immediately on your spanish sardine how did you get skunked? What were you fishing for?
We got skunked bc we didn’t catch anything. We did get bites though so I guess we didn’t get totally skunked. But no fish...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you got bit immediately on your spanish sardine how did you get skunked? What were you fishing for?
We got skunked bc we didn’t catch anything. We did get bites though so I guess we didn’t get totally skunked. But no fish...
Sorry. Forgot to respond to what we fished for. We tried our luck with bottom fishing. Ran to Tex Barge and 3 barges. No luck.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All, thanks for the input. So it clearly wasn’t the bait...it was the fisherman. I don’t claim to be an expect when it comes to fishing. We tried bottom fishing a failed miserable.

If anybody has advice and/or methods that produce, I would love to hear.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry. Forgot to respond to what we fished for. We tried our luck with bottom fishing. Ran to Tex Barge and 3 barges. No luck.
Gotcha, you'll get em next time. I think live pinfish and cigar minnows are good bottom fishing bait from what I've heard. Anyone feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
They're line shy. Go down in size on terminal tackle and lighten the line up considerably.

Most of the fish I catch on the reefs are on 12 or 15 lb mono.

If you're looking for grouper and any are actually there (most are picked off by the spearos), throw tons of bait down to get them going then use a heavier lined rod and still small terminal gear.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
It drives me insane that everyone calls a Spanish sardine a herring. But I just keep my mouth shut.
Think it could be because they are in the same family and look alike? Drive you crazy that we call scales sardines LYs? That we call round scad cigar minnows? That we call bigeyed scad popeyes? Or calling blue runners hardtail? Calling cobia ling? Little tuny or false albacore bonitas or bo-bos? The flathead grey mullet Striped mullet(FWCs name for them)or black mullet?

·
Registered
163 Posts
It drives me insane that everyone calls a Spanish sardine a herring. But I just keep my mouth shut.
Think it could be because they are in the same family and look alike? Drive you crazy that we call scales sardines LYs? That we call round scad cigar minnows? That we call bigeyed scad popeyes? Or calling blue runners hardtail? Calling cobia ling? Little tuny or false albacore bonitas or bo-bos? The flathead grey mullet Striped mullet(FWCs name for them)or black mullet?
I meant threadfin herring. Heard multiple people call a Spanish sardine a threadfin.

Might want to check your blood pressure you seem a little fired up there

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I meant threadfin herring. Heard multiple people call a Spanish sardine a threadfin.

Lol...I'm not the one who gets bent out of shape over someone calling a spanish sardine a herring...in fact, I'm guilty of calling them herring.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Lol...I'm not the one who gets bent out of shape over someone calling a spanish sardine a herring...in fact, I'm guilty of calling them herring.
But you are gerting bent out of shape over an internet comment.

Might as well just call all fish in the herring family a herring that way no one knows what your talking about. No need to specify the different species of mullet. They're just mullet. No need call a snapper by it individual species. It's just a snapper. Any grouper is just a grouper. Any drum is just a drum. See how this causes a problem. We have names for things for the purpose of clear communication.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I use pretty much what is available but--

For big Grouper I really like 6-10" Blue Runners. Slippery Dicks are great too and I often catch several Grouper on a single bait. For big AJ's, a keeper size Black SeaBass is about tops. Big Sand Perch are great too. Cobia love Sea Bass as do big Grouper. I always free line Sand Perch and Black Sea Bass if I am targeting AJ,s. Big Snapper eat free lined Sea Bass like candy. Don't discount live Ladyfish or Bluefish but they are eaten by Kingfish real quick.

Better check regs on using Sea Bass since they have a bag and size limit.

I don't use Bumpers unless there is absolutely nothing else available.

For Jewfish, a 5-10# Jack Crevalle si tops followed by similar size Sheepshead. Even Catfish will catch Jewfish. I never use anything that dives into holes for Jewfish bait.

Most days I will have a hundred or so Threadfins and a few other species in my well. I try to carry as much bait as my well will hold. Any dead bait goes in the Chum Churn. Fresh chum rules.

Oh yeah, in the winter time, I use False Pilchards and Silver Perch, the only live bait available here in the winter. In the summer time, down here, if you don't have live bait for shallow water Grouper, you might as well stay home. The only live Grouper bait sold down here is Pinfish. Great bait if you can get hand sized ones. I NEVER BUY BAIT OTHER THAN LIVE SHRIMP FOR SHEEPSHEAD. i PREFER TO CATCH MY OWN.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
But you are gerting bent out of shape over an internet comment.

Might as well just call all fish in the herring family a herring that way no one knows what your talking about. No need to specify the different species of mullet. They're just mullet. No need call a snapper by it individual species. It's just a snapper. Any grouper is just a grouper. Any drum is just a drum. See how this causes a problem. We have names for things for the purpose of clear communication.
I just call them "bait". If they are swimming they are "live bait" if they aren't swimming they are "cut bait". Really cuts down on the confusion.:yes:

·
Registered
116 Posts
With live bait, the bigger the better for grouper most times. Cut one corner of the tail off after tailhooking a big livey (pinfish or whatever you can get).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts