Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off. kinda new to this saltwater fishing.
I was out fishing some wrecks in about the other day and started hammering AJ's most undersize. Was casting swim baits. I had one engulf the bait so deep I about had to gut it to remove the hook.. it was going to die so I put it on a Big setup and let it out for sharks. Caught a couple of 8-9 foot sharks what a blast. My question Is it legal to use fish caught out there for bait?? Obviously if not I broke the law...send me the ticket.. But I cannot find where in the regs... Any info would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thank you!! Just think its a waist if its going to die....

·
OSOK
4,157 Posts
thank you!! So it being undersize was not legal then?? My bad!! Just think its a waist if its going to die....

If it is not large enough to harvest then it is not legal to use for bait. Nobody has to know what you use for bait though.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Time for an "edit". Lol
Live and learn! If that's the only mistake you make during your fishing "career"... You're doing pretty good!
I am curious.... I wonder if you were catching true AJs, or Lesser Amberjack?

·
OSOK
4,157 Posts
Time for an "edit". Lol
Live and learn! If that's the only mistake you make during your fishing "career"... You're doing pretty good!
I am curious.... I wonder if you were catching true AJs, or Lesser Amberjack?

I have yet to see a true lesser personally and I check. Lots of banded rudder fish (amberines) around though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have yet to see a true lesser personally and I check. Lots of banded rudder fish (amberines) around though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
could have been?? So many species look a like. me being new to this really sux...lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you tell them apart?? They look the same..

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
The main difference between the two amberjacks is the greater amberjack is longer than the lesser amberjack. In fact, the greater amberjack is four times longer than it is deep (side height); while the lesser amberjack is only about 3-1/2 times longer than deep (kind of a shorter stocky appearence). Maybe an easier way to identify one from the other for some is to lift up the gill and count the finger shaped projections from the first gill. If it's a greater amberjack there are about 20 of these; in the lesser amberjack there are about 25.
Otherwise, they have a VERY similar appearence as far as color and markings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts