Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing that many people are using mullet for reds off shore. Where can I get this? bait shops? also should it be cut up when putting on hooks. I have been using pompano rigs with a 4 weight at the end and 2 hooks up a few inches. Would this work for reds and mullet bait? Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
352 Posts
You can use pompano rigs or what I call "tourist rigs" that they sell at walmart. I like to use sturdy circle hooks so the fish don't get gut hooked and its easy to release them. You can buy mullet at a lot of bait shops. Make sure it has never been frozen. Cut it in steaks or even half steaks and that about it.

Even though mullet is an excellent bait this time of the year, for bull reds anything fresh and smelly will work. Shrimp, squid, pogies, etc will get bites if they are around. When pogies are around those things are like crack to bull reds. Last year my son and I caught 5 bull reds one morning on 6 dead dried out pogies we found on the dock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I get my whole mullet at Joe Pattis for .99$ a pound. $3 and I have 3 good mullet. I cut them like I'm filleting them and then cut that into 1" wide strips to put on the hook. Its been working well for me so far.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I assume you leave the skin on?

Do you do anything with the carcass?
I leave the skin and scales on. Usually wherever I'm fishing there are blue herons or seagulls. I'll feed them the carcasses if they are smaller. If they are too big then I'll wrap them in the bag they came in and throw them in the trash at home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can use pompano rigs or what I call "tourist rigs" that they sell at walmart. I like to use sturdy circle hooks so the fish don't get gut hooked and its easy to release them. You can buy mullet at a lot of bait shops. Make sure it has never been frozen. Cut it in steaks or even half steaks and that about it.

Even though mullet is an excellent bait this time of the year, for bull reds anything fresh and smelly will work. Shrimp, squid, pogies, etc will get bites if they are around. When pogies are around those things are like crack to bull reds. Last year my son and I caught 5 bull reds one morning on 6 dead dried out pogies we found on the dock.
I gotta ask, what is a pogie? Pardon my ignorance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts