Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon me and my brother decided to take a break from studying for finals and go sit for the evenin. for me i didnt see a thing except three squirrels chasing eachother(still funny to watch) not till 17:00 did three doesdecide to very spooky decide to come out, as i was trying to put the crosshairs on the biggest one she blew and took off, the other two just stoodthere, even after checking thier head to make sure there were no nubs, i shot the next biggest one, only 15 yards of her attempt to get what ever it was that jumped up and bit her in the neck(30-06)she went down . get down to find out she ended up bieng a he,:banghead. call my brother he sittin in the truck with what he thought was a doe but to be a 3-4 inch spike. HE SAID that he couldnt see the horns cause he was broadside with his ears up covering his horns.thebutton buck was about 60 lbs and the spike 90lbsBut anyways some good meat,:hungry but unfortunately two very young bucks killed:banghead.and cleaning two deer last night didnt help with thebiology final i just took.Pics not worth any thing but will try to get em up by this eve.

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts
Where are the :takephoto

I feel your pain brother.....I hate killing small deer but it hapened to me this AM:reallycrying He came out and was in a small opening w/ head away from me!!!

Here are mine :takephoto

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
It's tough to age them when they're alone. Best thing to look for is the long snout and rectangular shaped body. Even then, it's still a judgment call sometimes.

I wouldn'tlose any sleep over it - at least they died a quick humane death, and they'll be eaten. Better than what happens to some.Some pices of shit keep shooting does and fawns (out of season even), taking just the backstraps and dumping the carcasses on my road. I hope they get what they deserve someday.

Ed

·
Registered
556 Posts
Oh well, s**t happens. I think everybody has taken a spike thinking it was a doe. They all eat the same anyway. Enjoy the meat!

My rule of thumb: Never shoot a deer that comes out all alone.8 times out of 10 its a b.buck or small spike. These juvenilebucks are too old to be with their mom, but too young to run with the rack bucks. A doe on the other hand will typically have a yearling with her or another doe and a yearling. Just my little rule I go by...take it or leave it.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
HeartofDixie (12/17/2007)Oh well, s**t happens. I think everybody has taken a spike thinking it was a doe. They all eat the same anyway.

My rule of thumb: Never shoot a deer that comes out all alone. 8 times out of 10 its a b.buck or small spike. These juvenile deer are too old to be with their mom, but too young to run with the rack bucks. A doe on the other hand will typically have a yearling with her or another doe and a yearling. Just my little rule I go by...take it or leave it.

I had to learn that rule the hard way myself some years back

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did the same thing yesterday. Thought it was a doe from about 140 yards away and dropped him in his tracks. Thought it was a doe...but was mistaken.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds like you guys need some better scopes. I know it is hard sometime, but if you cant tell for sure its better to not take the shot. I hunta trophy managed piece of property in Ga and it has to be 130 class to shoot. I have missed opportunities at some good deer because I had to check first. Does on the other hand usually stay long enough to check twice.I've done it before, even with my police tactical scope.

4,058 Posts
turkeycall12 (12/17/2007) I know it is hard sometime, but if you cant tell for sure its better to not take the shot.
i agree. if i have a doubt in my mind, i let em' walk. season is plenty long and i already got some (not enough!) meat in the freezer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts