Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought what I though was a Brand New Key Largo 180cc.

Bought this Supposedly New From their Factory in Americus Ga.
Sight unseen from factory pictures.
Had to wait almost 4 weeks before it got to the dealer in palm Harbor Fl.
Shipping on this was all messed up I Had to call the Factory to get my boat.
I had to bypass the dealership to get my boat.
It was a Nightmare from the first test drive engine stalled and couldn't get it running.
They found Water in the Gas tank and nobody could figure out why so they drained it out and engine finally ran.
2nd Major issue at high speed when on plane boat listed to Port side making hard to steer.
I Went ahead and installed Trim Tabs like experienced boaters Do NO Help at all.
I moved almost 200 lbs to the starboard side and moved 2 grown adults 350 lbs starboard
no help leveling it out. I even went to a Suzuki Dealer to see if there was a Engine installation problem
but they didn't think so.
Waiting til they opened their dealership from Corona virus I removed 2 access plates on the deck floor and Found that
There was signs of Water had been trapped in the Hull from the Signs of Corrosion on the fittings
under the floor.
Now I know How the water got into the GAS tank. You can see water had fill up
right up to underneath the Floor from the water stains.
I took pictures to Document all of this so it proved my Claims.

Factory said I had to go through the Dealership
Going through the dealership wasn't easy to Do this will be for another story.
This was through many Weeks of waiting to see when they were going to FIX my Boat.
Then they shut down for Corona virus so I've been waiting 5 months to get All these Problems
Fixed.
I even drove the boat 350 miles to their factory to get this fixed Faster.
Communication with their Factory is pretty bad So I haven't gotten any updates when I reached out to them.
Has anyone else have problems with their Key Largos especially the 180 cc???

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,831 Posts
I hope you didn't screw up installing the trim tabs. It could be the out the factory would be looking for.

Best of luck dealing with the cluster f....

·
Registered
780 Posts
I am not terribly familiar with this boat but are you saying your bilge has been holding water this entire time? Why wasnt the bilge pump operable?

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,831 Posts
I am not terribly familiar with this boat but are you saying your bilge has been holding water this entire time? Why wasnt the bilge pump operable?
Key words for that are, "Is bilge pump working?" and "Was the drain plug ever pulled?"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for Reply's
When the Mechanic worked to get the water out of the gas tank he had it on my trailer.
He said having it on his boat ramp he could drain the water out of the gas tank easier?
This is when he noticed the auto bilge pump wasn't working so he replace it.
So any water that collected inside the boat when it was in a Bow Down Attitude Leaked into the hole
in the console where all the wiring and steering came through I found that out while it sat on the trailer.
So I had to raise the bow up higher than the stern with drain plug out and watched water constantly drip out.
After many weeks trying figure how the water was getting in while I was using it and the bilge pump kept going on and off was another issue. Not knowing the water intake for the live well was leaking I used Gorilla Tape to cover it and the leaking Stopped most of it. I will always keep some kind on Leak Repair Tape on my boat at all times.
Only God knows how long my boat sat outside at the Factory filling with water in a Bow Down Attitude
on the trailer. When I brought my Boat to the factory I told them that the drain plug was out and I was told
they always keep the drain plugs in. So where does the the water go, it stays inside the hull, unless its deep enough
for the auto bilge to pump. So the first bilge pump broke and never did any auto pumping like it was supposed too.
Lesson Here Always make sure your Bilge pump is working before going on the water I know of many people that don't, Bailing with a Bucket gets Pretty Old Fast.
I keep a waterproof cover on my boat most of the time but a few times when I didn't I saw how water
puddled towards the bow.
When I wash the inside the Boat I have to raise up the bow Higher than Normal so water would drain out.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,831 Posts
So, as of now, you don't know if all the water is out of the hull and don't know if the foam has trapped water?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for Reply's
When the Mechanic worked to get the water out of the gas tank he had it on my trailer.
He said having it on his boat ramp he could drain the water out of the gas tank easier?
This is when he noticed the auto bilge pump wasn't working so he replace it.
So any water that collected inside the boat when it was in a Bow Down Attitude Leaked into the hole
in the console where all the wiring and steering came through I found that out while it sat on the trailer.
So I had to raise the bow up higher than the stern with drain plug out and watched water constantly drip out.
After many weeks trying figure how the water was getting in while I was using it and the bilge pump kept going on and off was another issue. Not knowing the water intake for the live well was leaking I used Gorilla Tape to cover it and the leaking Stopped most of it. I will always keep some kind on Leak Repair Tape on my boat at all times.
Only God knows how long my boat sat outside at the Factory filling with water in a Bow Down Attitude
on the trailer. When I brought my Boat to the factory I told them that the drain plug was out and I was told
they always keep the drain plugs in. So where does the the water go, it stays inside the hull, unless its deep enough
for the auto bilge to pump. So the first bilge pump broke and never did any auto pumping like it was supposed too.
Lesson Here Always make sure your Bilge pump is working before going on the water I know of many people that don't, Bailing with a Bucket gets Pretty Old Fast.
I keep a waterproof cover on my boat most of the time but a few times when I didn't I saw how water
puddled towards the bow.
When I wash the inside the Boat I have to raise up the bow Higher than Normal so water would drain out.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Wow. I've a buddy who's son bought a new one two years ago and has the same story. Took him several months to get it useable and he also had to take it back to the factory because the dealer wouldn't fix it. Stink of it is that the gas tank was totally screwed up and they actually put a 6 gallon portable tank in it thinking that he'd accept it. I think he's got most of the bugs worked out of it now but the bottom line is that there is no customer service and what comes from the factory is poor craftsmanship.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts