Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I recently moved here from Jacksonville. Over there we would go to Mosquito lagoon which had Spoil islands that were $10 to do back country camping and great fishing.
I am wondering is there anywhere within maybe a 3 hour drive of here that might offer similar backcountry Kayak Camping / Fishing?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Fort McRea, Johnson's beach, and numerous spoils islands along ICW. Also, big lagoon state park has primative camping.

Also, on. Blackwater there is Grassy Point and Escrabino (I probably didn't spell that correctly) Point.

There is also a spoil island at the mouth of the Escambia river that a lot of people camp on.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
There are plenty of spots on the Escambia River to camp, but I'd be careful and wear orange because it's a WMA during hunting season.

This weekend, the Gulf coast kayak fishing assoc. is sponsoring a kayak camp/fishing at grassy point. $10 pig roast as well.

I love to camp fort Mcree. I put in at Southwind Marina for a $5 fee and paddle to the rock jetty. The fishing is great there and it's a gorgeous camp spot. Fish and drink all night, can't beat it. The PFF is sponsoring a shark tournament and camp weekend there November 15-17. May be a good time to come out. I'll be out there. You can eat free shark and party even if you don't enter in the tourney.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good information! Is there any type or permit required from the end of the road at Johnson's beach over to Fort Mccrae? Also would I have any problems with an open fire? I just may look in to the Shark campout!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Thanks for the good information! Is there any type or permit required from the end of the road at Johnson's beach over to Fort Mccrae? Also would I have any problems with an open fire? I just may look in to the Shark campout!
I'm not sure about the permitting if you're going to park somewhere on the island. If you are paddling to the island, you're good with no permits. Open fires are ok. The only thing you can't have is dogs or glass. Supposedly, they love writing tickets for dogs.

In case you're new to the area, I think you said you are...The pensacola pass has claimed a lot of lives. Be really careful if you're ever in the pass on a kayak. Be highly visible and know what the tide is doing. Especially during the shark camp trip, it's based around a full moon so the tide will be RIPPING.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts