Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left out last Friday morning fer KY (s/w) fer smoke pole season and arrived in the afternoon....we were greeted by warm weather and rain....temps started dropping although we had 3 days of rain. No fears, that's why they invented rain gear.....The last day of rain, we had small snow flurries and sleet too. Weather dropped to 24 degrees and the ground froze. We figured the weather would have the deer moving but only 3 nannies got smoked... Jumped a purty good (120-130 buck) that was shot at by 2 of the guys but no luck....another nannie was bloodied but could not be located....I saw a red wolf that was hauling some carcass's off behing the camp house, he was about up to my waist! Always saw deer in the fields and saw a couple good bucks one evening near the camp house... The corn was already harvested and the fields were picked clean so that's why there is probably a lack of deer.... We walked alot (need to work on cardio) and saw some beautiful country!!! Here are a few pics of areas I was in and a few of the deer. The does were as big as our bucks down here! Another cool thing is we got to go to a tobacco farmers barn and saw the operation. Them barns are STRONG smelling and it's a purty neat process!!!

Tree Northern hardwood forest Woodland Forest Natural environment

Tree Northern hardwood forest Natural environment Forest Canoe birch

Natural landscape Nature Natural environment Tree Nature reserve

Natural landscape Nature Land lot Natural environment Field

Deer Deer hunting Hunting Wildlife biologist Recreation

Water bird Hunting Waterfowl Vehicle Duck

Deer hunting Boar Suidae Domestic pig Fawn

·
Super Moderator
29,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic of the tobacco boxes!!!! Potent stuff!!!

Soil Wood Straw House

·
Registered
152 Posts
I worked with a guy from Virginia that had worked the tobacco plantations in Southern VA when he was a kid. He mentioned that when they would fire up some heaters to dry out the tobacco leaves in the barns that the deer would come like bugs to the light...something about the smell of the tobacco that the deer really liked :001_huh:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Nice pics Jason, You just make me wish to be back in the country more ya ole buzzerd, Now you gonna tell me how sweet the smell of fresh air, an wide open areas that need no signs to tell you where you are. Im sneaking in the trunk next time you mention going off a day or 2.... Glad you had a safe one,,, ole carver

·
Registered
905 Posts
yankee cousin, funny you should say that, the old timers in Tenn would tell me that.They would chew light up an have coffee in the blinds,,, But I always worried about scent block on my boots an coveralls. It must be like over ripe apples, the sweet smell that is,, ole carver

·
Registered
593 Posts
Me and a few friends use to hunt Mulenburg county every year for several years, It was a blast. What part of Kentucky were you in ??? We also use to stand in the tabacco barns before we hunted for cover sent, the whole town smelt like tobacco.

·
Super Moderator
29,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were in Todd and Christian counties.....love that country up there but not like my home state of VA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts