Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This motor has a storied history. When it was new, it spent the first 3 months of its life being worked on. Pretty much everything was replaced and it still had problems with the fuel system. Eventually Yamaha sent a guy from Atlanta down and he spent two days replacing replacements to finally 'solve' the problem (I was shown a tally of parts that totaled almost as much as the engine would cost). Motor was trouble free for two years during warranty period.

Last fall I began noticing water in fuel. No matter how many times I changed the racor element I would end up in the bay or gulf having to dump the bowl on the engine. Finally reached a point where water apparently made it into the injectors (according to marine shop in Panama City that worked on it). They didn't rape me; charged me for a couple hours of shop time and for a couple of parts (filters) and sent me home to drain the tank myself after they ran it on a separate tank. I drained the tank, had probably a gallon of water in 30 gallons of fuel. Ran the engine in driveway monthly through the winter.

Finally got a chance to put the boat in the water this weekend. Ran rough in the driveway yesterday but eventually perked up to what seemed to be normal on the hose. Dropped it into the bay today and she cranked up fine. Idled fine at the dock for about 20 minutes (I was nervous so I stayed on the dock for a while). Went through the RPM range ok but I didn't try to go above 3k RPM. Finally felt comfortable enough to leave the dock and boat pulled up on plane fine up to about 4600 RPM and then started backing down like there was a fuel flow problem and then it shut down and would not stay running. After leaving the dock the running time was approx. 2 minutes.

I could get the boat to kick off when I turned the key, but it would not stay running regardless of where I had the throttle. If I held the key in the start position so that the starter was engaged, the engine would 'run' and idle up with the throttle, but if I disengaged the starter it immediately died.

New racor element. No water in collector bowl, no water in engine bowl either. Fresh fuel.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations in the Fort Walton or Destin or Milton area for repair shops if I need to go that route? From the yamaha website there are only a couple of master techs in the area, Destin Marina Shop and Legendary. It sure is embarrasing getting a tow for 100 yards back to the ramp.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
I'm sure Kenny from Emerald Coast will see this tomorrow and give you some suggestions. Hope you get it straitened out.

Skip

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
How did you drain your tank for the water problem? If you didn't take the sending unit off the tank and insert a tube down into the back and corners and pump them out you didn't get all the water out. The fuel pickup tubes are off the bottom of the tank a short distance. Also you must find where the water is coming from. A lot of the overboard vents that are on the outboard side can pick up water in heavy seas. also an Aluminum tank that isn't full will tend to gather condensation from the weather temperature changes.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Ron is correct,, after reading your story, it is apparent you have an issue with water getting into your gas tank. and the end result is water in your injectors, there are filters in the entrance of each injector, that is bad about clogging up,, i have been rather successful in cleaning these, once the water/trash/debris gets to that point. there is nothing you can do short of replacing them or cleaning the injectors.. hope this helps,, let me know if i can do this for you.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sealark (17/05/2010)How did you drain your tank for the water problem? If you didn't take the sending unit off the tank and insert a tube down into the back and corners and pump them out you didn't get all the water out. The fuel pickup tubes are off the bottom of the tank a short distance. Also you must find where the water is coming from. A lot of the overboard vents that are on the outboard side can pick up water in heavy seas. also an Aluminum tank that isn't full will tend to gather condensation from the weather temperature changes.
I did not pull the sending unit. Instead, I used the fuel line and a pump (disconnected at the ball and ran clear vinyl tube to the pump, then to a garbage can). I jacked the boat up on separate sides in a 'best effort' to get as much as I could. I put another ten gallons in and did the same thing until the fuel line was dry. Not perfect but it was better than nothing.

My tank is plastic/poly, not aluminum. Also, this is a self venting fuel fill and cap so no outboard vents on the boat. This is a major suspect in my mind on where water might come from as the boat sits unprotected from rain. The other theory is just a solid round of bad fuel. I tend to run the fuel low and then fill the tank all the way up, rather than a few gallons at a time. With 66 gallons I think it is possible I could have found bad gas on one single fill-up.

I left Kenny a message so hopefully we can get squared away. I think it's very likely to be a fuel problem but it baffles me why the engine would fire and stay running as long as the starter was engaged, only to die when you let the key go back to 'run'.

Thanks for all of your input.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
What you described just told me you probably left about A gallons of water in your tank. The pickup tube is NOT on the bottom of the tank. Get a fuel pump and a hose, take the sending unit off the top of the tank. I wouldn't do this with a full tank. jack the boat up so the back of the tank is lower than the front. Now stick the hose into the lowest spot in the tank and pump the water out. Move the hose around from side to side in the lowest spot. Lastly figure where the water is getting in and correct that. Or better like was suggested take it to Kenny Mann at Emerald Coast he will treat you right..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts