Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

AWESOME TRIPLETAIL MASSACRE- PICS & VIDS from mdrobe2

11K views 50 replies 15 participants last post by  mdrobe2 
#1 ·

My girlfriend is getting ready to go out of town for a while to do some consulting for the military so I was in a bind when Captain William Manci (owner of Eastern Shore Outfitters) called me and told me they were still putting a hurtin' on the tripletail over his way. Angela gave me a kitchen pass and even agreed to spend a little time on the water angling with me and Captain William, so off we went.Let's get this out of the way first...

Captain William Manci (251) 269-7463

http://www.easternshoreoutfitters.org/

He is a great guide- maybe the best I've fished with, and I've been all over LA, FL, AL, etc. Everything from yellowfin tuna to speckled trout to cobia, well you get the idea. We went 21 for 30 today.(Meaning we caught 21 fish of 30 we saw- kind of likecobia fishing. I did not mean to be obscure when I made the post)Please allow me a little leeway on the count. We saw so many fish and caught so many that none of us really knew for sure how the count went, We just knew we had the best tripletail trip Captain William has ever had and he is known for tripletail. They call him Captain Tripletail.We broke the previous record of 16 out of 17 that JEC and I set a few weeks ago.I got to meet Gary Finch of Gary Finch Outdoors TV show when we came in. He was taking his little girl out with Captain Williamafter our trip. I called the captain laterand he said they caught ten more, with the little girl fighting and landing 7 of them after her dad hooked them for her. She was maybe 7 and very nice to Angela and I.I thanked him for his TV show because that is where I foundout about the awesome tripletail fishery in Mobile. I called Captain William in Marchafter I saw the show and told him I was coming and he promised to call me back when they started running. That was in 2008 and JEC got a 27 inch fish that weighd 18 lbs. on that trip- we went 5 for 7- not bad, and some fatties in the mix. Without further ado, here are some pics...

Angela has a big smile on her face in this picture. For a non-angler she sure did seem to enjoy the fishing!

Angela and the captain pose with a fish.I promise not to post duplicate pics. We took a pic of every fish we released so we have more fish pics of released fish than we do of caught/kept fish.

Another fattie...

Angela shows the spines on a smaller fish...

Captain and angler...

Stringer...

Better shot of massive stringer...

Another shot of stringer with me and my better half...

Me with 2 of our larger fish...

We caught a fish with a tag in it that Gary Finch told us was released in MS. We would have let it go had we seen the tag when we caught it. In one of the videos you see us with the fish and the tag is clearly displayed but we did not notice it. Really bothered us that we didn't notice the tag and killed the fish. Had we known we would have taken the tag number and released the fish...

Captain William is going to call the number on the tag and report the fish was caught. Cool that he made it all the way to Mobile from MS.

Angela and the captain with a STUD we released...

Stud pic...

Everyone catches a small one once in a while...

Angela catches all the big fish. Hate that we had to let them go since we already had our limit, as many of the fish we released were quite a bit bigger than the fish we kept...

Bad picture of me but nice fish...

as I said, we took a pic of each one we let go and I want you all to see every one. Sorry for the long post!

Better pic of me with a big one...

Close up pic of a tripletail- I like the way their eyes are small and up on top of their heads but they have a big mouth-prompted meto reflect on how they live/feed...

I'm gonna close at this point and hope like hell this post goes through. More pics and vids to be addd later...mdrobe2

See less See more
#2 ·
That's just awesome.

Tripletail are one of the bst fish to fight and land. Absolute beasts.

Y'all did very well.

If you ever get the itch, check out Jekyll Island, Ga for triples in June and July. They've got some honkers around 30 pounds. I think we averaged 12 poundsa fish but nowhere near the numbers y'all did. That's spectacular.

#4 ·
Thanks so much for the reply Joe Z. Videos are uploading as we speak, and I remembered you guys whooped 'em pretty good in GA...believe you got a stud, if I am not mistaken...

#5 ·
FenderBender- I've been to the mouth of the Pearl but never saw a tripletail. PM me if you find any in our area- I still go to Mobile for mine! Thanks for the reply...Mike

#6 ·
I caught the baby -- 16 pounds -- and lost two that were pushing double that.

I'd trade for your day in heart beat.

Except for cleaning them, those things are armor plated. I'll take one jumbo on the table vs. a bucket of regulars.

Any tricks Capt. William passed along on that end?

#7 ·
that just rocks roberson! congrats to you and angela and good job capt.:bowdown...great report and enjoyed the pics...have your machine call mine...have a safe trip...

mikendale

#9 ·
Mdrobe-

I caught mine right at lake Borgne casting a dead shrimp next to a channel marker. Probably 7 years ago and I haven't forgotten it, amazing fight! And I am embarrassed to say that at the time I dod not know what it was... I thought I had some type of giant prehistoric bream! Released him. One of these days I'm going to hit every channel marker in Pensacola bay with light line and live shrimp and just see what happens...

#11 ·
Captain William went through that stringer like child's play, but I did not watch him fillet them. We were at his Uncle's house- guy has a waterfront home on Fish River thati woulddie for. Looked like the captain went around the rib cage, but IDK. I gave the captain and his uncle 3 of the 9 fish limit we had because I still have fish left from last time, so why be greedy?. I would not have kept a limit again today if not for wanting to feed 8 people between all the families involved and releasing more than we caught!

#12 ·
Jhoe (7/3/2009)do you just float the shrimpies by the structure? put a light weight and let them fall? how do you even fish for these. i've never caught one or even heard of them till I found this forum.
Our set up was a slip cork (not a popping cork) and live shrimp. I don't recall a weight but you just pitch to the structure or fish if you find a free ranger and yeah, let it sink.

Oh yeha, then hang on. Pound-for-pound, baddest thing I've set a hook in.

#13 ·
Ultralite- I have a bag of fillets in the freezer with your name on it.I know Dale is the kitchen ninja, but tripletail Mama Deda's at Fisherman's Corner is right up there with the best fish I have ever eaten...

#16 ·
isn't that one (3tail) in your avatar Z?...they are fine catchin' and fine eatin' fish and are of the pelagic family...i'm impressed and envious of your adventures mike with the capt. he knows his stuff fosho....

#17 ·
Jhoe- I would not fish them in the AM. Tripletail like to lay on their side on the surface and act like structure, then when bait comes around to hide near them they pounce! I would fish them when the sun is high,

As an aside note, I wanted to add that Gary Finch gave me a 20 dollar Guy Harvey shirt for free. Custom T from the Red Snapper World Championship. He made an impression on me as a nice guy, for someone that fishes on TV. I drove by Roland Martin one time on the Bay Way in Mobile and theguy wouldn't even wave at me. Kudos to Gary Finch Outdoors for him being a class act and generous to boot!

http://www.garyfinchoutdoors.com/

#18 ·
Yours truly, acting a fool and trying to coach my GF on how to catch a fish, as ifI know...

#19 ·
hahaha...good job angela and good technique mike...

gotta love the "ultralite" tackle...

#20 ·
Yours truly gets SMOKED by a tripletail. We found a FAD (fish attracting device) while running and I got schooled by a fish. Not too proud to admit whenI get totally ruled by a 'tail.

Like an idiot, I even talk a little trash before the fish gets off...

#22 ·
Another video from our trip...

#24 ·
Anyone that has a few hundred bucks to spend on a trip can go with me next time. Hell,I was gonna invite someone from the forum to go with me for free if Angela opted out of the trip. PM me if you want to go on the best sight fishing trip of your life for some hard fighting tripletails.

#25 ·
We saw some cool stuff on our trip. Tripletail are such a weird and wonderful fish- like cobia. We saw several free jump, and some of them were very large. We also saw them strike aggressivelyat a cork. Too bad the cork did nothave a hook in it. I was flat out amazed at times by the numbers of triples we saw/caught at a single spot.We worked some of the spots hard, and whileI was waiting to move on I would hook up- taught me a lot about work ethic and patience when it comes to fishing. I was also glad I had a guide- I could have done well on the 'tails in my boat fishing that area but having a guide makes all the difference when it comes to hooking a stubborn fish or just out and out knowledge and casting accuracy. Captain William whooped some arse and we caught several fish we would not have caught had we been on our own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.