Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Another video from our trip...

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Anyone that has a few hundred bucks to spend on a trip can go with me next time. Hell,I was gonna invite someone from the forum to go with me for free if Angela opted out of the trip. PM me if you want to go on the best sight fishing trip of your life for some hard fighting tripletails.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
We saw some cool stuff on our trip. Tripletail are such a weird and wonderful fish- like cobia. We saw several free jump, and some of them were very large. We also saw them strike aggressivelyat a cork. Too bad the cork did nothave a hook in it. I was flat out amazed at times by the numbers of triples we saw/caught at a single spot.We worked some of the spots hard, and whileI was waiting to move on I would hook up- taught me a lot about work ethic and patience when it comes to fishing. I was also glad I had a guide- I could have done well on the 'tails in my boat fishing that area but having a guide makes all the difference when it comes to hooking a stubborn fish or just out and out knowledge and casting accuracy. Captain William whooped some arse and we caught several fish we would not have caught had we been on our own.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
One more video link for you all. Thanks for all the replies and KEEP THEM COMING! I appreciate them all and love sharing my adventures with my forum brethren...Mike

This video is kind of funny to me. Also, anyone that gets on a good tripletail bite in Pensacola that shares info with me is in for a free trip with Captain William courtesy of me. I know they are probably here. Someone needs to man up and post a report. I know what it means to post reports as far as secrets getting out. I've posted 3 on the fishery in Mobile Bay and the fish are getting way more pressure now.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
JoeZ (7/3/2009)I caught the baby -- 16 pounds -- and lost two that were pushing double that.

I'd trade for your day in heart beat.

Except for cleaning them, those things are armor plated. I'll take one jumbo on the table vs. a bucket of regulars.

Any tricks Capt. William passed along on that end?
Joe Z- The best part of the guided trip is when you get back to the dock and the guide cleans the fish! I had a set of Dexter Russels in the car but Captain William just sharpened up his fillet knife and went to work. Cleaned them quick! We had 3 HEAVY gallon freezerbags of fillets.I gave one of them to Captain William's uncle. I think the captain got a few out of the bag later, so it was all good. Everyone is eating tasty tripletail.

mdrobe2 (7/4/2009)One more video link for you all. Thanks for all the replies and KEEP THEM COMING! I appreciate them all and love sharing my adventures with my forum brethren...Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIPoSUYGsrY

dang mike! that's the best video of all...a very nice fish! funny stuff..."14lbs? more like 10...16 it is...he'll be 25 when it hits the forum" funny and so true when it come to fisherman...thanks again for the thread...

that last video kinda got to me a little...like, i need to go fishing...bad!

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Ultralite (7/3/2009)hahaha...good job angela and good technique mike...

gotta love the "ultralite" tackle...
Leave it to the master angler and dock lightking M. Kirkland (Ultralite)to notice thatI was fishing for 10 pound fish with 10 pound line. That a boy! A lot goes unsaid in many posts, but the intuitive angler reads between the lines, so to speak!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Kirkland- (Ultralite) I hate to tell you this, but I was gonna call you and see if you wanted to go on the trp with me Friday, but I was thinking you are off on Mondays and not Fridays, so I brought Angela. We need to go soon! I promise to drop some fillets off if you promise to have Dale cook them like she did those pompano you caught or else take them to The Corner for Mama Deda's...awesome...

yep mike, i've been off since last thursday...well, "off for a while"...we'll hook up soon...i enjoy the triple tail and rig reports very much...videos too...you are living the life there bro...back to work on tuesday so, come spend some dock time and share a beer or six...

mikendale

Discussion starter · #34 ·
FenderBender (7/3/2009)Mdrobe-

I caught mine right at lake Borgne casting a dead shrimp next to a channel marker. Probably 7 years ago and I haven't forgotten it, amazing fight! And I am embarrassed to say that at the time I dod not know what it was... I thought I had some type of giant prehistoric bream! Released him. One of these days I'm going to hit every channel marker in Pensacola bay with light line and live shrimp and just see what happens...
FenderBender- Thanks for replying to my post. Wanted to let you know two things about the 'tails- don't use light line when you go on your outing. They will break you off in structure in nothing flat. Also, for years many people thought tripletails were not good to eat because of their habit of laying on their side on the surface. People thought they were sick. This is true. Please bring all the tripletails you catch to my house soI can dispose of them properly.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
You trying to say Angela is more photogenic than Captain William and I Bay Pirate? Surely you jest! Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks for the reply. I don't think this report is going to get close to 3000 views like the one from a few weeks ago did. Too bad, cuz this was a better trip. At any rate I love the replies from everyone. It's whyI post, knowing full well the fish will getmore pressure.

mdrob.....congrats on your great trips and your tagged fish!. Y'all should become part of the tagging program. It was started several years ago by the biologists at the Gulf Coast Research Lab over in Ocean Springs. There is a lot of concern about this fishery because fishing for triple tails has become the new "en vogue" thing and they are receiving a huge amount of pressure all up and down the Gulf Coast. In the old days, there was very little attention on this sport. Now, they are getting hammered. These fish are not very prolific reproducers and most of the fish under 18" aren't even sexually mature. These are the ones being kept....and most of them haven't even had a chance to breed. This is happening from Texas all the way to Florida.

The state regulations were all put in place when there was very little knowledge about these fish. Unfortunately, they want to have some science before they make any adjustments to limits. MS and LA don't have any regs on them at all!

The tagged fish you caught was probably tagged right there in that immediate area by any number of people that are over here participating in the program. The tagging and releasing of the fish becomes very addictive....it is very cool to actually get feedback on released fish. Nobody is saying that you shouldn't fish for them or that guides can't make a living fishing for them. If you really enjoy doing this so much....help us all protect the viability of the triple tails. Keep one or two to eat, but try to release as many as possible so that we can enjoy this in the future. There are a lot of guides that are participating in this program.....they find that their customers enjoy the tagging, and they don't have to keep (kill) full limits to have a great trip. They also aren't keeping the guide's limit as well.

Congrats again on your success.....please consider contacting Read Hendon at the Gulf Coast Research Lab and joining the program.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.