Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Provocateur
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new year couldn't have started better! We hit the beach around 8 am, and finished at sundown. The surf, and wind was really strong as the day started, but it turned out to be a great day. We ended up pulling in eight black drum, three nice pompano, had to release a redfish that was just over limit (28"), and a handful of cats. I had a friend visiting for the holiday, so it was fun to put him on some fish..although I caught most of them because he kept missing bites. With the cold temps coming this week, I figure the water temps will drop enough to effectively end surf fishing for me until spring.

2015010395101101.jpg

2015010395140754.jpg

2015010395163215.jpg

I also landed the biggest pompano I have caught yet, on Jan 1st. 20.5", I was ecstatic!

0101151856a.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice job Pilar, nice fish, I am jealous! I am new to surf fishing, I fished about 3 hours New Years day on Johnson Beach and was shut out. What were you using for bait?

·
Provocateur
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job Pilar, nice fish, I am jealous! I am new to surf fishing, I fished about 3 hours New Years day on Johnson Beach and was shut out. What were you using for bait?
I was using peeled shrimp mostly. I did have one carolina rig out with cut bait, but nothing was hitting it, so went with shrimp all day.

·
Provocateur
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thumbsup: Nice - great work for January !

Throw in a whiting and sheepshead - and that would be beach grand slam !
Not a single whiting. Actually, I haven't caught any whiting for approximately two months now. I still haven't caught a sheepie from the surf.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The new year couldn't have started better! We hit the beach around 8 am, and finished at sundown. The surf, and wind was really strong as the day started, but it turned out to be a great day. We ended up pulling in eight black drum, three nice pompano, had to release a redfish that was just over limit (28"), and a handful of cats. I had a friend visiting for the holiday, so it was fun to put him on some fish..although I caught most of them because he kept missing bites. With the cold temps coming this week, I figure the water temps will drop enough to effectively end surf fishing for me until spring.

View attachment 426977

View attachment 426985

View attachment 426993

I also landed the biggest pompano I have caught yet, on Jan 1st. 20.5", I was ecstatic!

View attachment 427001
The TRIFECTA...very nice catch

·
Registered
261 Posts
Killing it man! Guess your buddy brought the luck! I was gonna head out that day too but came down with the crud. Gonna head out Thursday and brave the cold. Been a slow winter for me. I've had spring fever since the begining of November.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts