Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to see tagged fish healthy & still biting !!! :thumbup: It is working! Tag & release !:thumbsup: Cobia Next?
Good eye! Note that some of those fish have multiple tags. We got really involved with Louisiana's tagging program-they want us tagging EVERYTHING (dorado, tuna, cobes, redfish, etc.). Super cool to find out whether these fish leave the gulf, or stay there their whole lives because of all the structure, bait, and cover the oil rigs provide. Also their growth rate per year. Can't wait til they start publishing some of the recovered data and making it transparent to the general public!

·
Banned
3,674 Posts
Bad ass video Woody. Hard to get those good shots when it's that bouncy. What camera are you using? Just the Go Pros or a few different kinds? Is your tagging program with La. State tags or whose tags? Are you tagging Billfish Foundation and State tags? Really curious about what La. is doing and then why Florida is not doing the same thing.

WE caught a dolphin south of South Pass in about 1,000 ft. during the Biloxi tournament this year and it spit up a little 6" juvenile sword as soon as it hit the deck so, we know the Swords are breeding here. I passed it on to the biologist at the weigh in and he was very excited about it. I'm like you, I love to see the results of these studies. One reason that I would be interested in getting a Florida program going is that the Billfish Foundation recovery of tags is only about ONE PERCENT. I think that if you gave the tags to fishermen and then had actual rewards (not tee shirts) for recovery, you would get more data. I'm not saying that sport fishermen here don't report but I have seen commercial fishermen in other countries who have shoe boxes full of them and they are only interested in what their value is and nothing else. I know it's short sighted but you have to work with the economic realities of their life not our own ideals of what responsible conservation should be. Do we want data or are we happy with wishful thinking?

4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bad ass video Woody. Hard to get those good shots when it's that bouncy. What camera are you using? Just the Go Pros or a few different kinds? Is your tagging program with La. State tags or whose tags? Are you tagging Billfish Foundation and State tags? Really curious about what La. is doing and then why Florida is not doing the same thing.

WE caught a dolphin south of South Pass in about 1,000 ft. during the Biloxi tournament this year and it spit up a little 6" juvenile sword as soon as it hit the deck so, we know the Swords are breeding here. I passed it on to the biologist at the weigh in and he was very excited about it. I'm like you, I love to see the results of these studies. One reason that I would be interested in getting a Florida program going is that the Billfish Foundation recovery of tags is only about ONE PERCENT. I think that if you gave the tags to fishermen and then had actual rewards (not tee shirts) for recovery, you would get more data. I'm not saying that sport fishermen here don't report but I have seen commercial fishermen in other countries who have shoe boxes full of them and they are only interested in what their value is and nothing else. I know it's short sighted but you have to work with the economic realities of their life not our own ideals of what responsible conservation should be. Do we want data or are we happy with wishful thinking?

Thanks dude. I got a nice Panasonic Handheld for Christmas last year, I'll tell you the exact model in the morning. GREAT for far off stuff. The goPros are good for anything inside of 20 feet or so. I have yet to break one, either. I would pay for a GOOD cameraman to be on board on every trip. You can pretty much count on footage being garbage by handing a camera to a customer. They zoom in and then lose the fish. Or in the event of a good snap-style camera, they don't know to use the big lens. Lose-lose battle! That's why I like having multiple cameras (Latham cams makes some awesome ones) on board in the event of an operator error with the camera, which can cost thousands in a tag/release calcutta.

We are indeed tagging with The Billfish Foundation as well as the Louisiana Fish and Wildlife Department. TBF is a great organization and all big game guys should contribute to those guys.

I think it's also easy to, in the event that you catch a tagged fish and cut the tag off and put a new one in, throw the tag in a tackle drawer or something and forget about it accidently. I am definitely guilty of that myself with some jacks and snapper this past year, and those tags had a reward as well! Doh!

Also would like to stress that we don't like to tag hot fish by the boat. I'd sooner pop her off than try to take a quick jab and pop her either in the lateral line or too close to the head. Actually, TBF sent out something last year about moving the ideal tagging site slightly aft of where it was. Just under the dorsal, about 3/4 up from the tail. Away from any vitals. Get the fish under control and then put one in her. Don't STAB it, just do a quick, light punch, just enough to bury the tag in. Healthy revival and send her on her way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Awesome Footage!

Great job on the video Woody! Can't wait to fish w/ you again in Venice!! Love my sis's marlin at the end!! :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts