Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hard to believe that I'm starting to see posts that sound like something I would post myself. Unfortunately there isn't a magic answer available to solve our fisheries problems. Everyone is aware that we have serious issues concerning Red Snapper and Amberjack no questions asked. People are starting to mention Grouper as a fishery of concern and it should be.

The latest split of TAC for Gulf of Mexico Grouper is 65% TAC to the commercial sector and 35% TAC for the recreational sector. That's a fair jump from 51% TAC which is all that they should have been allowed. Naturally the bag limit went down for recreational anglers at the same time. It can become a lot worse too! The SE Atlantic Fisheries management Council changed the TAC split for Tile fish next year. The new regulations give 97% of the TAC to commercial interests which leaves only 3% for the recreational sector. If you look at their 2010 season, no Grouper til May 1st, maybe some Red Snapper after the end of June, but most likely they will see the closure continue for another 180 days. Looks like the recreational anglers can pretty much forget about targeting Tilefish as an alternative.

We still have a reasonable fishery here in the Gulf of Mexico so I think it's more reasonable to take one on the chin now with season lengths and bag limits rather than no season in the near future. If the fisheries populations are under estimated now it won''t hurt us in the future as if they were over estimated. I encourage everyone to become proactively involved to support their agenda what ever it may be. NOAA is going to have to get it together in conjunction with the regional fisheries councils because the recreational angler advocate groups are growing in number and finances which allows them to stand toe to toe with legislative bodies and commercial lobbyists. They have failed or are failing to bring our national resources into sustainable fisheries as mandated by law so join an advocacy group and make your voice heard.

http://www.ccaflorida.org/

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I say go on strike! Refuse to buy Snapper, Grouper , Aj's , Tile fish from anybody! When everyone quits buying them, The commercial guys wont have a market. Since they are making us not catch them, we should notcommercially eat them either. What about cobia or ling? They have been the most "Hammered" fish around for years. Nobody seems to give a crap about them. They used to swim down our beaches by the thousands. Now, You have to get on a "Cobia" boat to see or catch one. When we do see one on the beach, its running for its life with boats chasing it down. I could give a crap less about a Red Pinfish! There so many out there & we kill most releasing them.:doh What a bunch of Dumbass Regulators screwing it up for recreational fishermen & commercial guys kill it all. Doesnt make sense to me. Even the Poor Chater boat guys are hurting. Nmfs sucks & SO DOES FLA!:boo

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've put NOAA on notice. They have one more season to get their agenda back where it should be, protecting fisheries which need protection with reasonable measures which ensure fairness to all user groups. That does not include cutting the recreational catch of red snapper and shortening the season while giving the reemainder away to a yearlong commercial fishery. It does not mean telling the occasional rec angler they cannot bring home 3 gag grouper a trip, while allowing commercials to bring in 1,000s of tons each season. I've just started fishing for tiles and have'nt caught one yet, but when I do, it's not going back in the water and I don't care what the new regs say. I have'nt depleted shet. Talk to the bottom longliners about that!

No one ever stops me at the dock and asks what my catch was, so I now that NMFS numbers have to out of line. So I'll assume nobody will notice when I come back with a cooler full of Red Snapper in April, May and September either. God knows I can't catch anything else out there.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Am I missing something here or is Kim calling for even tighter regulations? Red snapper and AJ's are in trouble?

I was under the impression all of our fisheries were healthy and the Magnuson-Stevens act was just a bunch of politcal hogwash passed to make the eviro-whack jobs happy.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh

:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:

doh:doh:doh:doh:doh:

doh:doh

we dont agree on a lot of stuff pcola, but this guy is a waste of your breath.

once again suffering from delusions that some agree or even understand where the heck he is coming from.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
I say go on strike! Refuse to buy Snapper, Grouper , Aj's , Tile fish from anybody! When everyone quits buying them, The commercial guys wont have a market.

Try telling that to a New Yorker at the Fish Market up there.

That is where a LOT of it is shipped and sold each morning by 5:00am.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thank you!! I was at a wholesale fish market local at pcola they where in the process of loading apx 6000# of mingos of all sizes to be shipped to New York NO BS !!! and whats the avg Joe allowed to keep!!! I wished I had my camera .If I sound a liitle pissed cause of all the regulations limiting Mr Joe Blow I am but I cant blame the commercial fisherman for this he doesnt make the rulesHe is trying to make living and the government is allowing this.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
What do we do when the fishing stocks get so low that even the biggest operation cannot show a profit? Even the Number of D. C. Crab boats are less than Half of what they were a few years ago. :doh

Act now before it is to late and it becomes the same fate as the Commercial Hunters.:reallycrying

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
backlashnpcola (12/27/2009)Thank you!! I was at a wholesale fish market local at pcola they where in the process of loading apx 6000# of mingos of all sizes to be shipped to New York NO BS !!! and whats the avg Joe allowed to keep!!! I wished I had my camera .If I sound a liitle pissed cause of all the regulations limiting Mr Joe Blow I am but I cant blame the commercial fisherman for this he doesnt make the rulesHe is trying to make living and the government is allowing this.
I dont blame commercial guys either. Its thier living. I just have a problem seeing them kill to the max while we're told nono! Its the States fault & NMFS that this happening, Theres something up or Fishy smelling & it needs to be Found or Called out. Maybe even some Criminal Charges.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
P-cola_Native (12/27/2009)Am I missing something here or is Kim calling for even tighter regulations? Red snapper and AJ's are in trouble?

I was under the impression all of our fisheries were healthy and the Magnuson-Stevens act was just a bunch of politcal hogwash passed to make the eviro-whack jobs happy.

I'm with you!

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you read what I wrote, I am suggesting hold the regulations where they are at for this year and get an accurate assessment of fish stocks so that seasons and bag limits can be set using scientific data to maintain sustainable fisheries. All I would like to see is to take the hype and guessing out of the regulation process.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Kim (1/1/2010)If you read what I wrote, I am suggesting hold the regulations where they are at for this year and get an accurate assessment of fish stocks so that seasons and bag limits can be set using scientific data to maintain sustainable fisheries. All I would like to see is to take the hype and guessing out of the regulation process.
Cut the BS! All you would like to see is for rec fishermen to be more restricted in what we can keep. On more than one occasion on here you have flipped your shit when someone kept a limit of fish. Go adopt a litter of cats or something and quit trying to sabotage recreational fishing!

·
Registered
807 Posts
what i would like to hear from kim is that since the grouper aj's and red snapper are so over fished...he keeps using NOAA data...that as of today he will do his part and close down his own fishing for the year 2010.

now if he fishes lets say 10 red snapper fishing trips a season and i would have to say based on his size of snapper he catches when he does keep a snapper is most likely a female. Each one of these snapper reproduced 2 females that would be 40 more snapper. next year we would have 60 snapper. In 5 years they would be producing 80 snapper. now the doubling effect takes place.

after 20 years we would have 4.6 million red snapper just from kim not fishing in 2010.

kim here is your chance to do something for the over fished red snapper fishery!

now kim if you do not stop your self from fishing what other ways can we make our depleted over fished red snapper fishery recover...maybe do what the NOAA says we should do. you know the federal government knows best what is good for us stupid recreational anglers. all we know is catch and kill everything. if we cannot eat it we can freeze it until it is old and then just throw it away!

kim other than joining the CCA...which is a joke!!!!! what have you done for the red snapper fishery? i do not remember seeing you at any of the FWC meetings held in florida. Were you at any of these meetings?

Maybe your contribution to all our fisheries is to just say "is this how we want to be portrayed as recreational anglers"

I am listening to what YOU think we anglers should do to help our depleted over fished red snapper fishery.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wes you have your opinions and I have mine, just as everyone else does and you just have to learn to live with that. I want a sustainable fishery and you want it all now and you are entitled to that opinion. Now having said that I also encourage you to gather your scientific data and present it in February when the council has it's meeting in Orange Beach Al.

http://www.seagrant.unh.edu

That's the site that details all that goes into a fishery resource survey. If you can include all the required data in your SEDAR survey I believe that NOAA will take you and your report seriously.

·
Registered
337 Posts
King Crab (12/27/2009)I say go on strike! Refuse to buy Snapper, Grouper , Aj's , Tile fish from anybody! When everyone quits buying them, The commercial guys wont have a market. Since they are making us not catch them, we should notcommercially eat them either. What about cobia or ling? They have been the most "Hammered" fish around for years. Nobody seems to give a crap about them. They used to swim down our beaches by the thousands. Now, You have to get on a "Cobia" boat to see or catch one. When we do see one on the beach, its running for its life with boats chasing it down. I could give a crap less about a Red Pinfish! There so many out there & we kill most releasing them.:doh What a bunch of Dumbass Regulators screwing it up for recreational fishermen & commercial guys kill it all. Doesnt make sense to me. Even the Poor Chater boat guys are hurting. Nmfs sucks & SO DOES FLA!:boo
We need to demand a newtax on all fish sold. One or two $ per fish would slow down the demand and pay for more managment of the

commercial sector.

·
Registered
807 Posts
KIM...we need people like you at these meetings...we need your voice at these meetings or are you just a few words on a forum?

again what have YOU done for our fisheries?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts